Posted by Editoress on 04/3/09
Pan American Championships represents an exceptional opportunity for Canada to score valuable points toward our nations UCI ranking.
Given the high points value of the Pan Am Championships and the fact that these points can be easier to collect than during other UCI events, we would like our top athletes to be part of the National team for the Road Pan Am Championships being held in Chihuahua, Mexico.
The ITT is scheduled for May 8th and the road race for May 10th.
The project is self funded for Elite and U-23 men. The women's project will be funded by the CCA.
With the beginning of the Olympic road qualification process, the Canadian Cycling Association is closely monitoring Canada's progress towards our goal of qualifying a maximum number of starters in both men and women road events.
Team Size (waiting for UCI to confirm):
Elite Men: 6
Elite Women: 4
Espoir Men: 4
CCA will select from the pool of athletes having met the 09 carding criteria and will be racing as an Elite or an Espoir (U23). The final team selection will be at the discretion of the National Team coach. The carding prioritization will also be considered.
1) Highest finish (Elite) at a 2008 Olympic Games
2) Highest finish at a 2008 Elite World Championship event (if already qualify, next best at World Championship)
3) Highest finish at a 2008 U23 World Championship event
4) The male athlete with the most UCI Pro Tour road points using the UCI ranking released on April 1, 2009. (if already qualified, next best at the UCI Pro Tour ranking will be selected)
5) The male athlete with the most UCI American Tour road points using the UCI ranking released on April 1, 2009. (if already qualified, next best at the UCI American Tour ranking will be selected)
6) The female athlete with the highest number of road UCI points using the UCI ranking released on April 1, 2009. (if already qualified, next best at the UCI ranking will be selected)
7) National Champion at the 2008 Elite National Road Championship event (if already qualified next best at Nationals)
8) National Champion at the 2008 U23 National Championship event (if already qualified next best at Nationals)
9) Highest finish at a 2008 Junior World Championship event (athletes must be U23 in 09 to be eligible)
10) National Champion at the 2008 Junior National Road Championship event (athletes must be U23 in 09 to be eligible) (If already qualified next best at Nationals)
11) Athletes who score a minimum of 15 UCI points in 2009 by April 10th.
*Team size is subject to Chief Technical Officer and National Road Coach's discretion based on competitiveness, budget and invitation to the event. The CCA reserves the right to limit or to increase team size. The CTO and National Coach can add a rider to the pool at their discretion if they feel the rider can bring a positive contribution to the team.
If you are interested in participating please contact me no later then April 10th.
Canadian Cycling Association
Coordonateur - Route
Tel: (613) 248-1353 ext: 2602
|Return to Cycling 4 Women homepage | Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|