November 3/10 15:47 pm - Employment Opportunity - Cycling Office for City of Mississauga
Posted by Editoress on 11/3/10
An exciting, new position for a dynamic change agent to ride Mississauga into the future!
This opportunity is to ESTABLISH and LEAD a Cycling Office which is charged with the implementation of Mississauga's just-approved 20 year Cycling Master Plan. We are seeking a cycling enthusiast who has the vision, the energy and the skills to elevate cycling in Mississauga to become a major component of a multi-modal transportation network for the future
Mississauga is Canada's sixth largest city with a population of more than 700,000. With well-established infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities, the City is considered to be an employer of choice, delivering quality municipal programs and services to its citizens. Mississauga is a dynamic, diverse and progressive municipality, known for its economic strength and for being Canada's safest city.
Transportations & Works Department, Transportation & Infrastructure Planning Division requires a MANAGER, CYCLING OFFICE
Mississauga's Cycling Master Plan Goals:
1. Foster a culture where cycling is an every day activity
2. Build an integrated on-road and off-road cycling network as part of a multi-modal transportation system
3. Adopt a safety-first approach for cycling in Mississauga
• Post secondary graduate from a recognized university with a degree in Transportation Engineering, Urban Planning and/or Business Administration/Management or a related discipline.
• Minimum of 8-10 years of progressive experience in Program Development and Implementation in the public sector.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships and partnerships with elected officials, outside agencies and the public is required.
• Experience in working in a municipal government environment and with the public is preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills are required to facilitate public presentations, for public speaking and grant writing.
• A good understanding of infrastructure design, engineering drawings and/or traffic engineering would be an asset.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt quickly to change is required.
• Ability to manage multidisciplinary teams.
• Strong analytical skills are required.
• Demonstrated project management skills and contract management skills are required.
• Proven ability to develop and implement multi-faceted business plans for short, medium and long terms.
• Required Leadership Competencies include strategic agility, business acumen, communication and relationship building, developing culture and people and driving change.
• Experience in supervisory leadership roles would be required.
• Experience in managing multimillion dollar budgets is required.
• Experience with cycling master plan implementation projects would be an asset.
• Demonstrated enthusiasm for cycling and participation in cycling advocacy groups or community cycling networks would be an asset.
• Good working knowledge of standard computer applications, i.e. MS Office, etc.
• Must be available to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends.
Under the direction of the Director, Transportation and Infrastructure Planning, the successful candidate will establish and lead a Cycling Office and implement the City's Cycling Master Plan. The plan is an integral component of the City's multi-modal transportation network. The implementation plan includes 79 short-term and long-term recommendations. The Cycling Office will be responsible for the completion of the recommendations and monitoring and advising on the actions. The successful candidate will be the advocate for cycling within the City, including being the City's staff representative at the Mississauga Cycling Advisory Committee and leading an inter-departmental, multi-disciplinary teams on cycling matters. Further accountabilities are as follows:
• Oversee municipal regulatory framework changes to implement the Cycling Master Plan.
• Develop short, medium and long term business, program and budget plans to implement the Cycling Master Plan.
• Oversee annual implementation plans, including network infrastructure development and the many other elements of the Cycling Master Plan including cycling education.
• Take the lead on public engagement processes regarding the implementation of cycling facilities in neighbourhoods
• Develop an infrastructure asset management plan for cycling facilities.
• Manage Cycling Office staff, including hiring and training, administer the performance management process, ensure communication between and recognition of staff.
• Develop a comprehensive network of organizations and agencies to assist in implementing the plan.
• Build strong relationships and liaise with Members of Council, the Mississauga Cycling Advisory Committee, Peel Regional Police, Region of Peel, the Ministry of Transportation, community business leaders, adjacent municipalities, the media, cycling associations/advocacy groups and the general public.
• Develop training/public education programs to be used to respond to cycling related concerns from the public.
• Foster community cycling events.
• Establish a tourism plan focused on cycling.
• Implement comprehensive standardized signage and a way finding system.
• Incorporate bicycle parking at City-owned facilities and encourage trip-end facilities at existing private sector locations.
• Identify and implement bicycle friendly policies and programs, including the review of all Planning Policy reviews and Planning Development Applications as they relate to cycling initiatives.
• Develop and utilize a network safety program for cycling.
• Be accountable for cycling information on the City's website and social media as appropriate.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Salary: $73,565 - $98,087
Applications will be received ON-LINE exclusively by visiting the City of Mississauga's career website at www.mycitycareer.ca up until November 17, 2010.