March 11/11 9:08 am - Employment Opportunity - Canadian Sport Centre Calgary
Posted by Editoress on 03/11/11
Position: Director, Youth Development
Organization: Canadian Sport Centre Calgary
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Job Type: Contract with transition to full-time
Reports to: President/Chief Executive Officer
Submission Deadline: April 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm
The Canadian Sport Centre Calgary (CSCC) is one of the top Olympic/Paralympic sport training environments in the world. The CSCC is an organization that strives to develop a positive and comprehensive environment focused on excellence by providing athletes and coaches with leading experts in the fields of exercise physiology, sport medicine, strength and conditioning, biomechanics, nutrition, mental training, coach education and life services.
The CSCC will be establishing a future hub at Canada Olympic Park that will be one of the most unique athletic environments in the world. Focused on excellence, this new facility will provide the competitive advantage for Canadian athletes along with opportunities for youth and the sporting public as they pursue an active lifestyle.
Scope of Position:
An exciting opportunity exists to join the CSCC's leadership team as it solidifies plans to expand into the new high performance and public training hub to be opened at Canada Olympic Park in February 2012. This position will have the opportunity to create a broad youth athletic development curriculum that will significantly impact the growth of the Canadian sport system.
• Strategically design and implement a youth athletic development curriculum aligned to the Canadian Sport For Life's Long-Term Athlete Development model
• Work with a Steering Committee to develop a vision and systematic approach to enhancing youth athletic development
• Work with CSCC sport service professionals to create program outlines
• Work with WinSport Canada, CSCC service professionals and Fitness Equipment retailers on equipment layout and design
• Liaise with CSCC partners and sporting bodies to establish joint programming initiatives to support the development of youth and encourage an active lifestyle
• Develop guidelines for access to facilities and programs
• Interview and hire department staff
• Direct, liaise, schedule and work with a team of part-time, full-time and contract staff
• Develop and administer the youth programming budget
• Establish policies to ensure appropriate duty of care for all youth programs
• Work with marketing team to effectively market and communicate new programs to schools, public and sport clubs/associations
• Participate in the CSCC's planning process for operation of the new hub at COP
• Assist and support sport organizations with talent identification and recruitment of youth athletic ability and the design of subsequent training programs
• Research and establish a bursary program to support youth with athletic ability that are not able to afford to participate in sport
• Bachelor and/or Masters degree in Education, Sport Administration or related field
• 10-15+ years experience in developing curriculums and/or youth athletic programming
• Vision for enhancing youth athletic development and proven ability to act on that vision
• Familiarity with the Canadian Sport For Life's Long-Term Athlete Development model
• Strong understanding of the Canadian high performance sport system
• High degree of administrative capabilities and strong computer skills
• Previous experience directing a Physical Education program or working in a multi-sport environment is an asset
• Certified teacher or instructor is an asset
• Self-starter and driven to succeed
• Proven ability to plan, organize and execute a curriculum or athletic programs
• Ability to develop strong working relationships with external partners and associations
• Strong communication skills, works well in a team environment and ability to relate to the big picture
• A passion for sport and developing a systematic approach to youth athletic development is an asset
Salary will commensurate with experience.
By applying for this position, you consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of the personal information provided during the application and selection process.