Posted by Editoress on 05/20/11
$150,000 in total prize money!
Rider, Team Registration Now Open for 2011 "Tour of Elk Grove" (August 5-7) in Elk Grove, Illinois
• NEW this year: Women's 3-day, 3-stage pro race.
• NEW designation as a Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) race.
• PLUS Men's pro 3-day, 3-stage race purse: $106,000!
Registration is now open for pro/am cyclists and teams for the 6th annual Alexian Brothers Tour of Elk Grove, Friday-Sunday, August 5-7, in the Chicago suburb of Elk Grove Village.
Tour of Elk Grove's total prize purse is $150,000 with $106,000 in total prize money earmarked for the men's pro 3-day, 3-stage tour-the largest prize purse for a men's 3-day, 3-stage pro race in the North America.
NEW at the 2011 Tour of Elk Grove will be the introduction of 3-day, 3-stage women's pro race. The prize purse for this tour is $15,000.
Also new in 2011: Tour of Elk Grove has, for the first time, been given globally-prestigious designation as a Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) race in 2011. This is expected to draw even more international participants.
In addition, the Elk Grove-headquartered Heart of A Marine Foundation, which works with U.S. military vets, will host Tour of Elk Grove's first-ever "adaptive athlete" race on Sunday morning that's open to all adaptive athletes..
Tour of Elk Grove features a total of 16 amateur and professional races and is again on USA Cycling's prestigious National Racing Calendar. (USA Cycling is the sanctioning body for professional cycling in the U.S.)
Among Tour of Elk Grove's highlights…
• The weekend of pro/am racing kicks off late Friday afternoon with a 4.5-mile time trial races for both men and women. (The time trials are Stage 1 of both the men's and women's 3-day, 3 stage races. )
• Stage 2 road races for both men and women will be held on Saturday afternoon. And Stage 3 circuit races (looped course) will be held on Sunday afternoon.
• The returning Men's Category 1/2 races will be held Saturday and Sunday and feature a total of $15,000 in prize money.
Tour of Elk Grove also features a time trial for charity on Friday at 3:30 p.m., two community races on Sunday, a sports expo with food and other vendors, and community "block parties" on both Friday and Saturday night with food, fireworks and live music.
To register, for a complete list of races/prize money, and the complete weekend schedule, please visit www.tourofelkgrove.com.
Rider/team registration questions can also be directed to Hank Zemola at 773.584.6623.
|Return to Cycling 4 Women homepage | Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|