August 3/12 22:31 pm - Rapha Northwest Juniors Classic Stage Race: BC Youngsters "Go Nuclear"
Posted by Editoress on 08/3/12
BC Riders Go Nuclear at Elite Junior US Stage Race!
One of the most significant youth development road racing events in North America took place on July 28-29 in Elma, Washington. More than 90 top ranked young racers (ages 10 – 18) from California, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia gathered together for an elite junior stage race. The goal of the event is to become a premiere junior-only race that supports the growth and development of junior riders on both sides of the border. The significance of the event is punctuated by the participants which included the US Junior Nationals Elite U23 Time Trial and Road Junior C Girls Silver Medal Winner, the 2 time Washington State Junior C Girls Time Trial Champion, the US Junior Nationals Elite U23 Time Trial and Cyclo-cross Junior Boys Champion, and the reigning US National Sprint Champion in Junior Boys.
Start of the Junior C Road Race in the shadow of the Nuclear Facility
The event, which was 4 years in development by the Washington State Bicycling Association (WSBA) grew out of the realization that junior racing in the region has been in a state of decline for several years. The Race, which attracted enthusiastic corporate sponsorship wishing to support junior racing ($10,000+ in cash and prizes) included one of the most unique crit courses ever – an abandoned nuclear power plant in the shadows of the heavy water cooling towers!
Organizers anticipate that the race will be even bigger next year, as more and more junior racers from both sides of the border recognize the advantages of junior racing.
British Columbia's junior riders did extremely well against some very high level US competition. Highlights include:
• Isaac Van der Vliet 1st in RR, 2nd in CR, 2nd GC Junior B Boys (10-12)
• Jess Reynolds 2nd in TT, CR and RR, 2nd GC Junior C Girls (13-14)
• James Grant placed 5th GC Junior C Boys (13-14)
• Mark Grant placed 11th GC Junior Boys (13-14)
• Jackson Pickell 3rd in the RR, 7th GC Junior B Boys (15-16)
• Tessa Pinckston 1st in RR, TT, CR, and 1st GC Junior A/B Girls (15-18)
• Kia Van der Vliet 3rd in TT and 4th GC Junior A/B Girls (15-18)
• Jane Harmsworth 5th GC Junior A/B Girls (15-18)
• Adam Reddy 3rd TT and 6th GC Junior A Boys (17-18)
• Andrew Grant 7th Junior A Boys (17-18)
Congratulations to our young Canadian riders who represented their country very well at this prestigious event!
Report and photos courtesy Dr. Larry A. Reynolds