January 22/13 22:45 pm - Employment Opportunity - Canadian Olympic Committee
Posted by Editor on 01/22/13
Be a part of building and servicing a national brand. The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada’s involvement in the Olympic Movement, including participation in the Olympic, Youth Olympic and Pan American Games.
This position is based in Montreal. The successful candidate is required to be bilingual.
The COC is seeking a Senior Manager of Sport Communications who will help lead and drive communication efforts for the organization. The overall purpose of this position is to serve as a communications resource to National Sport Federations (NSF’s) by assisting in the development and implementation of their communications plans and focusing on their Olympic preparation communications plans. In addition, this position will serve to promote sport and build the athletes’ and the COC’s profile both within the Canadian sport community, with other stakeholders and the Canadian public. The Senior Manager of Sport Communications reports directly to the Executive Director, Communications and works primarily in Montreal.
Core Responsibilities and Priorities
The position can be broken down into three (3) main areas of focus with the following principal responsibilities:
Games Communications: Work with NSF’s to develop and implement Games-specific Communications plans.
• Assist COC in development and implementation of Games Communications plan and assist in pre, during and post Games planning, execution and promotion.
• Take lead role in helping NSF’s develop and implement their Games’ communications plans. This involves addressing media attaché training, athlete/coach/executive media training, team announcements, press conferences, crisis/issues management planning, protocols, as well as competition and victory management planning and execution.
• Provide recommendations on NSF media attachés for Games and act as a lead media attaché for the communications team at Games.
• Participate in Games Leads Meetings on behalf of the COC Communications Department.
NSF Support and Services: Develop and enhance NSF relations from a communications perspective, providing focus on sharing resources and best practices to help build a stronger sport community.
• Provide day-to-day communications support and consultation to NSF’s, while also building the sport community’s awareness of the COC’s activities from a sport technical perspective.
• Help build a stronger NSF communications community by sharing knowledge, resources and best practices.
• Help promote NSF activities/events through the support COC’s communications department.
• Design and implement the COC Media preparation and planning program (planning, media training and familiarization/Professional Development) aimed at helping athletes and coaches develop the tools and skills needed to feel comfortable and prepared for media interviews.
Increased Profile for the Athletes, COC and Sport: Help position the COC as a leader and advocate in the sport community, promoting the Olympic Movement and making Canada’s athletes, NSFs and the COC present in everyday life outside of the Games. Help position the COC as a leader and advocate in high performance sport in the country.
• Take a leadership role in proactively identifying opportunities to promote the COC and its initiatives.
• Assist in identifying emerging issues within the sport community and help the COC prepare appropriate messaging and tactics when appropriate.
• Lend support to other COC initiatives aimed at improving stakeholder relations as part of its national communications strategy.
Qualifications and Critical Skills
• Bachelor's degree, PR, Bilingualism is a must, communications, business, or related field required;
• Olympic Games experience is an asset
• 5-8+ years professional experience in high profile corporate communications or public relations roles;
• Management skills include high-profile communications, strategic planning, budgeting and creative solutions;
• Proven ability to communicate plans across a complex matrix on a corporate, regional and functional basis;
• Experience initiating and driving the ideation process, contributing meaningful and innovative strategies from concept to execution stage;
• Successful experience in working effectively at a senior level management position and a proven ability to provide guidance and direction to peers;
• Strong written and spoken skills. Bilingualism a strong asset.
• Experience leading communications strategy for major events, media outreach and across multiple stakeholder relationships;
• Experience developing and implementing policies and processes to facilitate improved planning on projects is preferred;
• Good understanding of digital landscape.
Competitive salary based on experience. Excellent benefits package offered as well.
Please send all cover letters and resumes by January 28, 2013 to email@example.com citing the position title in the subject line. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.