Posted by Editoress on 01/31/18
Due to a multitude of factors, Cycling Canada has made important changes to its events calendar for the 2018 season. The changes to the domestic race calendar are as follows:
• Bear Mountain Canada Cup (Langford, BC)
- Sanction reduced from UCI C1 XCO to UCI C2 XCO for XCO Canada Cup
- UCI C3 XCO event scheduled for Sunday April 1st has been removed
- The Saturday March 31st event will continue with a UCI C2 sanction, including the first North American stop of the UCI Junior Series
• Baie-Saint-Paul Canada Cup (Baie-St-Paul, QC)
- Moved from June 1-2, 2018 to May 20-21, 2018
- Sunday May 20th will be a C1 sanctioned XCO Canada Cup, including C1 UCI XCO Junior Series. Sunday will be a C3 event in the Cross Country Short Track format
• Vélomotion Canada Cup (Mont Tremblant, QC)
- Has been added to the calendar on May 26-27, 2018
- Saturday May 26th will be a UCI C2 sanctioned XCO Canada Cup, including C2 UCI XCO Junior Series. Sunday will be a UCI C2 sanctioned DH Canada Cup
Cycling Canada is also excited to announce the addition of U17 Expert Men & U17 Expert Women as Official Canada Cup XC categories beginning in 2018. These categories will compete for their own Canada Cup overall ranking, including leader's jerseys. The first event to include these new categories will be the Bear Mountain Canada Cup, scheduled for March 31st in Victoria, BC.
• Toronto BMX Canada Cup (Toronto, ON)
- Moved from July 7-8, 2018 to July 14-15, 2018
- Will remain UCI C1 sanction Canada Cup #2 on Saturday July 14, and National Calendar sanctioned Canada Cup #3 on Sunday July 15
• BMX Canadian Championships & Canada Cup (Drummondville, QC)
- Moved from July 14-15, 2018 to July 7-8, 2018.
- Canadian BMX Championships will occur July 7th, and National Calendar sanctioned Canada Cup #1 on Sunday July 8th
• Abbotsford BMX Canada Cup (Abbotsford, BC)
- Will now host a single UCI C1 event instead of a double C1 weekend. The event will follow the format of a UCI C1 Canada Cup #4 on Saturday August 18th, and a National Calendar sanctioned Canada #5 Cup on Sunday August 19th
• Toronto CX (Toronto, ON)
- At the request of the UCI, the Toronto CX event scheduled for Saturday September 1st has been reduced to a UCI C2 sanction, as opposed to the originally posted C1 sanction. This is due to UCI regulations surrounding first year events. The event will remain a double-header weekend, with a second C2 occurring on Sunday September 2nd.
• 2018 Global Relay Canadian Road Championships p/b Lexus - Elite/Junior/Para (Saguenay, QC)
- Relocation of the 2018 Canadian Elite/Junior/Para Road Championships from Kamloops, BC to Saguenay, Quebec from June 21-24
"As with any other race season, our 2018 events calendar has continued to develop since our original posting in the fall," said Josh Peacock, Competition Coordinator at Cycling Canada. "The changes outlined above represent both challenges and opportunities we face while building a Canadian race calendar in an ever-changing cycling events landscape. We would like to thank our organizers and racing community for providing their continued feedback and support as we place our final touches on what will promise to be an exciting race season in 2018".
|Return to Cycling 4 Women homepage | Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|