Posted by Editoress on 03/7/19
Liv Cycling, the company dedicated to getting more women on bikes, has revealed its 2019 athletes under the newly formed Liv Racing program. Liv Racing consists of a global team of 14 women hailing from six countries around the world. New to its roster, the company also announced the addition of road cyclist Ayesha McGowan, cross country (XC) specialist Sandra Walter and up and coming enduro rider Isabella Naughton.
"We welcomed our first athlete more than six years ago and are proud to continue to evolve and grow our support of female athletes," said Phoebe Liu, chief branding officer. Not only are these riders competing at the top of their field, they are riders who motivate and inspire everyone they meet, on and off the bike."
Beyond her ambitious goals on the bike, Ayesha McGowan, is an elite road racer and cycling activist. Racing XC, Sandra Walter has more than 20 years of experience racing which includes participating in the World Championship 11 times, earning 10 Canadian Championship medals. For 2019, enduro racer Rae Morrison has moved from the Giant Factory Off-Road Team to Liv Racing.
"This announcement means something different for me, but it won't really look any different from the outside," said Walter. "I've been sponsored by Liv Canada since 2013, but this year I'll also be receiving additional support from Liv Global as a part of Liv Racing. It's not a UCI Pro Team, so I still hope to travel and compete at World Cups with Team Canada in the Canadian kit."
"Hopefully, being backed by Liv Global will also mean some additional exposure for me, as they have a much larger budget and scope than Liv Canada. The new gig also continues to give me incredible flexibility with my racing schedule and I'm also able to bring my current personal sponsors with me."
The 14 women who comprise Liv Racing include a strong mix of veterans and young talent. The full roster for 2019 includes:
• Crystal Anthony - XC mountain biker and cyclocross racer who represented the US at the Cyclocross World Championships three times
• Kaysee Armstrong - Long-distance mountain bike racer who also races cyclocross, XC and gravel
• Shirin Gerami - First female triathlete to represent Iran in the Ironman World Championships, raced in both the Triathlon World Championships in London in 2013 and the Ironman World Championships in Kona in October 2016
• Serena Bishop Gordon - XC mountain biker and cyclocross racer
• Radka Kahlefeldt - Champion triathlete who kicked off 2019 with a win at Ironman 70.3 Geelong in Australia, Radka also competed in the Olympics in 2012
• Ayesha McGowan - Road racer and cycling activist dedicated to becoming the first African-American female on a mission to add colour and numbers to women's cycling
• Rae Morrison - Enduro athlete who won the Calestano Superenduro in 2018 and has had two 5th place finishes at the Enduro World Series, 1st at Crankworx Air AH in Rotorua, and 3rd at Megavalanche
• Isabella Naughton - Enduro athlete and USAC Downhill National Champion who also won the 2018 Canadian Crankworx Open Enduro
• Lesley Paterson - Five-time Off-Road Triathlon World Champion who recently won the Xterra World Championships
• Leonie Picton - Enduro athlete who has been part of the Australian World Champion Downhill team and is now recognized as one of the top riders in the British Columbia enduro scene
• Sam Scipio - Adventure Gravel and Cyclocross racer, joined Liv in 2018
• Allysa Seely - Three-time World Champion, 2018 ITU World Champion and 2016 Paralympic gold medalist in Triathlon, Allysa was the first person to earn a Paralympic triathlon slot for the USA
• Sandra Walter - XC specialist, raced the World Championship 11 times earning 10 Canadian Championship medals
• Caroline Washam - Gravity athlete specializing in Downhill, and Dual Slalom
Liv athletes also support the brand as product testers by working with the designers and engineers on new prototypes and providing product development feedback along the way. The acclaimed, best in class Liv Langma was tested and honed by Liv athletes, becoming a winning ride for several riders.
"We will continue to invest in Liv Racing's growth," added Liu. "These women make us better, improve our processes and together, support passionate cyclists around the world."
About Liv Cycling
Liv is the only comprehensive cycling brand in the world dedicated solely to women. Founded in 2008 by Giant executive Bonnie Tu as part of the Giant Group, Liv creates innovative bicycles and gear to fit and perform at the highest level. Liv aims to empower all female riders from beginners to pros. With a global team of retailers, athletes and events, plus a growing online presence focused on riding skills, bike maintenance, nutrition, travel, and other experiences - Liv strives to support community and be the number one resource for women cyclists around the world. Learn more at liv-cycling.com.
|Return to Cycling 4 Women homepage | Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|