Posted by Editor on 11/1/07
BC Cup #6 - Pumpkin 'Cross
Courtesy Barry Lyster
The BC Cup Cyclocross race, dubbed Pumpkin 'Cross by organizer Barry Lyster, attracted cyclists and spectators from across the province to Maple Ridge on Sunday, despite the poor weather.
"It was great to see that all the hard work we invested in this event created a challenging race with all that festive atmosphere. We hope that we've planted a seed that will grow this into an annual highlight on the Maple Ridge community calendar," said Lyster, owner of Local Ride Bike Shop, the race's main sponsor.
Racers gave rave reviews to the 2.5km course in Maple Ridge Park that featured slick grassy sections, twisty, rooty trails, barriers, a steep run-up, off camber corners and ditch crossings.
"Now that's 'cross racing!" said one satisfied finisher, who couldn't be identified because of all the mud caking his face.
The event had a festival atmosphere and was geared for young and old, featuring a free kid's race, prizes for best costumes and several categories to suit all levels of riders. The Halloween-themed race saw many participants get into the seasonal spirit by wearing silly costumes. Pumpkins adorned the course and race winners were awarded pumpkin pies. An MC was on hand, giving race commentary and dishing up some very appropriate music, like "Monster Mash" and "Thriller." Seagulls hunting spawning salmon in the Alouette River added some extra spooky ambiance with their haunting shrieks.
Some famous faces were on hand, including Austin Powers, Elvis, Batman and the Tooth Fairy. Drew Mackenzie of Victoria won the Men's A race in which racers had to power around the course for 60 minutes. Local Ride Racing's Roy McBeth was the top Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows finisher in 11th place. Sarah Stewart, also of Victoria, won the Women's A race. Local Ride Racing's Jean Ann McKirdy placed second.
In the Men's C and Women's B races, husband and wife Dave and Liz Chamberlain of Maple Ridge, both took victory in their respective categories in the name of the Local Ride Racing Team.
The Men's B race was a heartbreaker for Local Ride when team rider Steve Devantier lost his solid 20-second lead due to a flat tire. Trevor Hopkins of Pemberton won the race. Devantier was Local Ride's top finisher with seventh place. Brian Griffin of Maple Ridge placed second.
"Cross rocks!" said Devantier after his race. Looks like even a downpour and a flat tire couldn't put a damper on Pumpkin 'Cross 2007.
Local Ride would like to thank the Municipality of Maple Ridge, Specialized Bicycles Canada, Kicking Horse Coffee, Giant Bicycles Canada, FloraGLO and the volunteers, spectators and racers who made the event possible.
1. Sarah Stewart (Wedgewood)
2. Jean Ann McKirdy (Local Ride)
3. Christy Love (Ambleside)
4. Trish Sinclair (Kona)
5. Melanie Vaughn (Steed Cycles)
6. Sandra Walter (X.O-Felt)
DNF Joele Guynup (Straight Up Cycles)
1. Drew Mackenzie (Giant Bicycles Canada)
2. Tyler Trace (La-Z-Boy)
3. Craig Richey (Aviawest)
4. Kevin Noiles (Norco)
5. Sven Sturm (Trek-Red Truck)
6. Rob Gosselin (Mighty Riders)
7. Pascal Wehr (Treng DE)
8. Rick Rodland (FloraGLO-Norco)
9. Scott McGregor (Steed Cycles-SRAM)
10. Carsten Ivany (Natural Earth)
11. Roy McBeth (Local Ride) -1 lap
12. Jason Fluckiger (Coastal) -1 lap
DNF Joe Wessel (KC-Cobra-Opus-OGC)
DNF Tom Skinner
DNF Kevin Calhoun (Rocky Mountain)
DNF Jason Thompson (Escape Velocity)
1. Trevor Hopkins (Team Whistler)
2. Brian Griffin (Experience Cycling)
3. Patrick Backstead (Ambleside-Scott Bikes)
4. Matt Law
5. Brian Postlewaite (Escape Velocity)
6. Jeff Hanninen
7. Steve Devantier (Local Ride)
8. Ben Jackson (Escape Velocity)
9. Ryan Newsome
10. Rob Bitz (Local Ride)
11. Byron Enns (Steed Cycles)
12. Mike Berkenpas (Local Ride)
13. Nobuo Shoji
14. Ray Lachance
15. Anselmo Rossiello
16. Trevor Connor (Chris Cookies-Swan Cycles)
17. Axel Bergman (Escape Velocity)
18. Russell Stend (Escape Velocity)
19. Darrin Grund (Coastal)
20. Ryan Cousineau (Escape Velocity)
21. J.P. Baron
22. Paul Craig (Natural Earth)
23. Meshkat Javid (Mighty Riders)
24. Nicholas Cowan -1 lap
DNF Jak New
DNF Jason Lebner (Steed Cycles)
1. Liz Chamberlain (Local Ride)
2. Jeanine Ball (Local Ride)
3. Stania Juriga (Chicks Cycling Club)
4. Shera Clement (Wedgewood)
5. Sue Weston (Natural Earth)
1. Dave Chamberlain (Local Ride)
2. Dimitri Pavlakos (Edmonds Cycles)
3. Rob Kipps (Local Ride)
4. Mac McDell (Wedgewood)
5. Ian Beveridge
6. Craig Fabsiche (Overtime Sports-Bayview Apartments)
7. Andrew Kerr (Local Ride)
8. Chris Hennessey
9. Joe Purves-Smith
10. Jeff Burton
11. Ken Alger
12. Brian Wong (CVC Racing)
DNF Alan Young (Local Ride)
Kid's Race (Alphabetical Order)
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|