May 16/99 10:07 am - Green Wins NCS Short Track, Ontario Track Cup, Euro Results
Posted by Editor on 05/16/99
Big Bear Short Track XC - Shep's Report
Hey everyone! Today was an important day in North American racing with the start of the NORBA dirt crit series. The course was a 3 minute loop, that took us up a loose climb beside the dual slalom, down a switchback descent, through a series of paved chicanes ,over stairs, and onto 100 yds of flats. All of this in full viewership of the 3-4000 spectators...perfect! The pace was blistering from the gun as the main players jockeyed for position entering the single track. Killen, Larson, Green, Wiens and myself set the pace through the first few laps. Killen was powerful and tried a break at the 10 minute mark...Larson and I reeled him and I attacked for two laps, but everyone soon realized that this was going to come down to the last climb. After my attack, Larson led for three of the last four laps. With each climb he would punch it slowly thinning out the group...Going off the back were Gullickson and Madrigal, while Kabush caught up and tried a flyer for half a lap. Going up the final climb Rolli attacked from the #4 position while Killen moved from the #5....I slid back and couldn't counter.....Rolli squeaked by at the top followed by Larson, Killen, Kabush then me to finish first. Due to the nature of the finish it was impossible to pass on the downhill so this was the finishing order. It was good to see three of the top 5 representing good old Canada! Everyone associated with the race whether it was sponsors, riders, or media were delighted with the new format which was exciting to watch, race and televise....looking forward to next week.......Chris
Rene Marshman (Moots) won the women's event, with Canadians Amber Chorney (Gary Fisher) 5th and Trish Sinclair (Marin) 10th respectively.
Ontario Track Cup
(courtesy Val Davidge)
|Dates:||May 22nd and 23rd - Wind-Del Grand Prix|
|July 24th and 25th - Delhi Grand Prix|
Note: Provincial Championships and Marcel Thysman Grand Prix included in the Ontario Cup
Start each day: 9.30a.m.
Entry Fee: $25 each weekend
The Ontario Cup events are for two categories only - Men and Women. However, Juniors and Masters can ride in these categories if they wish. These are OCA sanctioned events - for Licensed Riders Only. One Day Licenses will be available. There will be a $5 refundable deposit charged on race #'s to those riders who do not already have a Track League allocated #. There will be a full supporting program of events for riders not competing in the O-Cup program or already eliminated from it.
1. 1 Kilometer TT (men) 500 Mtr. TT (women)
2. 200 meter TT plus Sprints using 3-up format
3. Individual Pursuit -4,000 mtrs-men; 3,000 mtrs-women
4. Points or Scratch race - 15km -men; 10km-women
5. Miss and Out
6. Other events t.b.a.
The above will all carry Omnium Points towards the O-Cup
Points awarded per event - first 5 places, 5,4,3,2,1 points
Supporting events not carrying points will include:
1. Olympic Sprint
2. Unknown Distance event
3. Flying Kilo (May and July meets only)
4. Handicap events
5. Olympic events according to participants
For further information call Keith Davidge at 905-824-8906 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Tour of Japan
Stage 1 - Osaka 141 km
1. Moreno Di Biase (Ita) Cantina Tollo-Alexia (Ita) 3:01:09
2. Silvio Martinello (Ita) Team Polti
3. Jacek Mickiewicz (Pol) Mroz
4. Glen Mitchell (NZ) New Zealand
5. Graeme Miller (NZ) New Zealand
48. Frank McCormack (USA) Saturn
66. Chris Wherry (USA) Saturn
62. Brian Walton (Can) Saturn
71. Adham Sbeih (USA) Saturn all s.t.
1. Moreno Di Biase (Ita) Cantina Tollo-Alexia 3:00:59
2. Silvio Martinello (Ita) Team Polti at 0:04
3. Osamu Sumida (Jap) Shimano Racing s.t.
4. Jacek Mickiewicz (Pol) Mroz 0:06
5. Osamu Kurimura (Jap) Team JPCA s.t.
9. Brian Walton (Can) Saturn 0:09
52. Frank McCormack (USA) Saturn 0:10
67. Chris Wherry (USA) Saturn
72. Adham Sbeih (USA) Saturn s.t.
Peace Race, Czech Republic
Stage 10 - Erfurt to Magdeburg 150 km
1. Steffen Wesemann (Ger) Team Deutsche Telekom 4:25:48
2. Jurgen Werner (Ger) Team Nurnberger
3. Olaf Pollack (Ger) Agro-Adler Brandenburg
4. Piotr Wadecki (Pol) Mroz
5. Peter Wrolich (Aut) Team Gerolsteiner
40. Michael Barry (Can) Saturn
73. Mat Anand (Can) Saturn all s.t.
1. Steffen Wesemann (Ger) Team Deutsche Telekom 42:16:56
2. Raimundas Rumsas (Lit) Mroz at 0:19
3. Thomasz Brozyna (Pol) Mroz 1:04
4. Jan Hruska (Cze) Wustenrot-ZVVZ 1:54
5. Rene Andrle (Cze) Wustenrot-ZVVZ 2:06
18. Levi Leipheimer (USA) Saturn 4:43
22. Michael Barry (Can) Saturn 5:59
28. Bart Bowen (USA) Saturn 7:00
49. Mat Anand (Can) Saturn 25:37
70. Seth Pelusi (USA) Saturn 55:17
74. Thomas B. Swindlehurst (USA) Saturn 1:04:23
More Asturias Results
From Stage 5
23. David Clinger (USA) Mercury at 3:19
81. Roy Knickman (USA) Mercury 31:49
99. Michael Sayers (USA) Mercury s.t.
It appears that Canadian Gord Fraser either dropped out in Stage 5, or did not start.
1. Juan Carlos Dominguez (Esp) Vitalicio Seguros 19:50:28
2. Roberto Laiseka (Esp) Euskaltel-Euskadi at 0:58
3. Fernando Escartin (Esp) Kelme-Costa Blanca 0:59
4. Manuel Beltran (Esp) Banesto 1:06
5. Angel Luis Casero (Esp) Vitalicio Seguros 1:54
19. David Clinger (USA) Mercury 7:56
88. Michael Sayers (USA) Mercury 55:36
99. Roy Knickman (USA) Mercury 1:04:35
Still To Come...
Men's Plymouth World Cup XC, Giro, More Big Bear...