May 8/09 13:04 pm - Become a Master Trainer for Sport Participation & Ontario Women 55-70 Project
Posted by Editoress on 05/8/09
The Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS) is looking for 20 keen individuals from across Ontario who would like to become master trainers for the Sport and Ontario Women 55-70 Project.
Why the Focus on Women 55-70?
The 55-70 age group is one of the fastest growing populations in Canada and will be increasing substantially over the next 20 years. These women, although over age 55, do not consider themselves 'seniors' or 'older adults' as they feel they are far too young for that. These women are also looking to continue what they did or do (e.g. basketball or hockey) but they do not want to play with the younger women - they want something for them and at the moment this is currently not a lot offered or even considered in most communities throughout Ontario and across Canada.
With this population growing steadily it is important that women 55-70, the new 'young seniors', are able to participate in a host of activities designed with their needs in mind. By understanding the needs of women 55-70, stakeholders (recreation, urban planning, public health, private industry, etc.) will better serve this diverse group at a time that it is so important for them to be active.
About the Project
The Physical Activity and Sport for Women 55-70 project was funded nationally in 2005 by the Public Health Agency of Canada. Over the last four years cross Canada focus groups and national research was conducted resulting in the development of new resources and the delivery of workshops throughout Canada. For more information on the project please go to: http://www.caaws.ca/women55plus/index.cfm.
The Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion has provided three year project funding to expand the Physical Activity and Sport for Women 55-70 project to increase sport participation for Ontario women 55-70.
Why Become a Master Trainer?
As a master trainer you will:
* Learn more about the Physical Activity and Sport for Women 55-70 materials
* Receive training on how to deliver the Physical Activity and Sport for Women 55-70 materials
* Be funded to deliver workshops on Sport Participation and Ontario Women 55-70 in your region
* Have the opportunity to coordinate Sport Participation and Ontario Women 55-70 pilot projects in your region
* Become an expert in the area of physical activity and sport for women 55-70
About the Training
When: Saturday May 30, 10:00am – 5:00pm and Sunday, May 31, 9:00am – 1:00pm
Where: Sheraton Gateway Hotel, Toronto Airport, Terminal 3
Trainers: Pat Hunt, Senior Consultant to the Project and Shelley Callaghan, Project Manager
* A maximum of 20 individuals will be selected to be master trainers. Please note that we need to train people from each of the four regions on Ontario (north, west, east and central). Application deadline- May 15, 2009.
* Costs will be covered to participate including travel (air, car, train) to Toronto, parking, accommodation and meals.
* A honourarium of $250 will be provided to each individual that is selected to participate in the 1.5 day master training session.
How to Apply
Interested applicants need to fill out an application form and provide their resume by May 15, 2009. To obtain a copy of the application form please contact Shelley Callaghan at email@example.com or 613-798-8029. Successful applicants will be notified by Tuesday, May 19, 2009.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Shelley at: 613-798-8029 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Funding for this three year project has been provided by the Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion.