Posted by Editoress on 12/16/10
The International Cycling Union (UCI) today announced the 15 Cross-country teams and the 15 Gravity teams that will receive the label "UCI Elite Mountain Bike Team" for the 2011 season. There are no Canadian-registered teams on the list, although Canadians are racing for a number of squads.
UCI Elite Mountain Bike Teams will benefit from numerous advantages: notably free entry at all the UCI MTB World Cup events and all races on the UCI Mountain Bike International Calendar. In return, the teams will be obliged to enter at least one rider in all rounds of the 2011 MTB World Cup and to display the UCI Elite Mountain Bike Team logo on their race outfits and team vehicles.
This new system should stimulate competition between the teams wishing to achieve the status of "UCI Elite Mountain Bike Team".
Invitations to join the new higher tier of UCI registered mountain bike teams were issued to the best teams of a UCI ranking established on September 27th by adding up the UCI points of the best riders within each team. The teams then had until December 10th to confirm their interest.
All the cross-country teams contacted accepted this new status. In the gravity category (downhill and four-cross), one team refused the status; the invitation was then issued to the 16th ranked team.
The final list of UCI Elite Mountain Bike Teams for 2011 (in the ranking order) is
• Specialized Factory Racing Team (USA)
• Scott-Swisspower MTB Racing Team (SUI)
• Subaru-Trek (USA)
• Multivan Merida Biking Team (GER)
• Orbea Racing Team (ESP)
• Trek World Racing (ESP)
• Team Colnago (ITA)
• Luna Pro Team (USA)
• Central Pro Team (GER)
• Cannondale Factory Racing (GER)
• Topeak Ergon Racing Team (GER)
• BH SR Suntour (FRA)
• Rabobank-Giant Offroad Team (NED)
• Rubena - Birell - Specialized Cycling Team (CZE)
• Felt Oetztal X-Bionic Team (GER)
• Scott 11 (SUI)
• Commencal (GBR)
• Yeti Cycles Races Team (USA)
• Suspension Center (SUI)
• RSP 4 Cross Racing Team (AUT)
• Santa Cruz Syndicate (USA)
• Team Maxxis-Rocky Mountain (USA)
• Trek World Racing (ESP)
• Chain Reaction Cycles / Nuke Proof (GBR)
• MS Evil Racing (AUT)
• Commencal Superiders (FRA)
• Alpine Commencal (AUT)
• Lapierre International (FRA)
• Monster Energy - Specialized - Mad Catz (USA)
• Norco World Team (GBR)
Modifications to mountain bike regulations
Following the results of the off-road survey (endurance and gravity) carried out by the International Cycling Union (UCI) last September and published on its website, the UCI has modified its mountain bike regulations.
Note: The amendments appear in red. This document is final, and only the lay-out will be adjusted. This final version will be published in English and French on the UCI website by mid-January 2011.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|