October 17/11 19:07 pm - Employment Opportunity - Communications Manager at COC
Posted by Editor on 10/17/11
Be a part of building and servicing a national brand. The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada's involvement in the Olympic Movement, including participation in the Olympic, Youth Olympic and Pan American Games.
The COC is seeking a Communications Manager who will help lead and drive communication efforts for the organization. This key communications position will play a strong role in building and developing long-term strategic communications strategies to support the organisation.
Core Responsibilities and Priorities
Leadership - Demonstration of strong leadership skills is essential:
• Manage the communications team, including the management of all communications staff such as writers, coordinators, translators and administrative support staff, to ensure delivery on key COC objectives;
• Act as day-to-day media contact for sports and news media, and organize interviews with COC representatives;
• Work closely with the Executive Director, Communications and other COC executives and selected spokespeople in preparing them for external communications;
• Proactively identify and organize opportunities to increase corporate profile and exposure;
• Develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate compelling communications and PR plans and strategies;
• Develop and implement strategic social media plan;
• High familiarity with sport and government;
• Connected within the media and able to drive external relationships with key business partners;
• Proactively engaged in anticipating issues, managing the process of creating media tools (including content, media materials and events);
• Support communications efforts at major launches and sports events, such as the Olympic, Youth Olympic and Pan American Games.
• Good understanding of budget planning.
Communications Skills - Communications skills are essential to ensure the COC vision is clearly communicated and understood by all key stakeholders:
• Contribute to the development of the communications plans and develop and define appropriate key messages and brand messaging to support the organization;
• Prepare news releases, media advisories, backgrounders, press kits, speaking notes and other communications materials;
• Manage the creation and production of communications materials (team media guides, annual reports, presentations, etc.);
• Regular communications and relationship-building with COC staff, management, external stakeholders, media, etc.;
• Work with sponsors/partners on press releases or other media initiatives.
Qualifications and Critical Skills
• Bachelor's degree (minimum) in journalism, PR, English, communications, business, or related field required;
• 5-8+ years professional experience in high profile corporate communications or public relations roles;
• Management skills include high-profile communications, strategic planning, budgeting and creative solutions;
• Proven ability to communicate plans across a complex matrix on a corporate, regional and functional basis;
• Experience initiating and driving the ideation process, contributing meaningful and innovative strategies from concept to execution stage;
• Successful experience in working effectively at a high senior level management position and a proven ability to provide guidance and direction to peers;
• Experience leading communications strategy for major events, media outreach and across multiple stakeholder relationships;
• Experience developing and implementing policies and processes to facilitate improved planning on projects is preferred;
• Deep understanding of digital landscape.
Competitive salary based on experience. Excellent benefits package offered as well.
Please send all cover letters and resumes by October 21, 2011 to email@example.com citing the position title in the subject line. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.