January 20/12 12:34 pm - Stevens Racing presented by The Cyclery Announces 2012 Roster
Posted by Editoress on 01/20/12
German bicycle manufacturer Stevens Bikes and Ottawa South bicycle shop The Cyclery are proud to announce the list of confirmed riders for their 2012 women's elite racing team - Stevens Racing p/b The Cyclery.
The Stevens Racing p/b The Cyclery team roster for 2012 includes a strong mix of riders who have international and domestic experience in road racing, time trials, track racing and cyclo-cross racing. This team of 11 riders includes some experienced veterans and some of Canada's top young talent.
Building on the success of the previous three years, Vince Caceres of The Cyclery is very happy to see a renewed commitment level on behalf of Stevens Bikes, "In a time when major bicycle manufacturers are stepping away from supporting women's racing, is is encouraging to see Stevens Bikes renewing their support in advancing women's bicycle racing."
The 2012 team roster for Stevens Racing p/b The Cyclery is:
• Jenny Trew: as the team captain, Jenny returns to racing after being sidelined with a concussion sustained in a training accident in 2011. Jenny brings years of top-level road racing both internationally and domestically to the team.
• Melissa Bunn: returning to the team for the third year, Melissa is the 2011 and 2010 Ontario Provincial Cyclo-Cross Champion and is fast becoming a leader both on and off the bike.
• Florence Laplante-Lamarche: a young up-and-coming athlete, Florence has medaled at the Junior Pan Am Track Championships and won a bronze medal at the Canadian Elite Track Nationals in 2011. Look for Florence to use her sprinting power on the road and on the track this season - her third with team.
• Adriane Provost: a strong time trialist with the Canadian National Junior Time Trial title in 2008, Adriane is turning into a talented and strong road racer. Adriane will be using her engine on the road and on the time trial bike this season.
• Annick Dufor: Annick is widely known in racing circles in Quebec and Ontario and she will be using her experience in road races, stage races and time trials.
• Carrie Cartmill: perhaps one of the most experienced racers on the team, Carrie has raced on Canadian National team projects and returns to racing after a year off to focus on her studies and career.
• Kelly Knowles: as an all-round racer, Kelly brings with her some solid results from the 2010 season and is looking forward to her first season of racing with the team.
• Michelle Paiement: with a break-out year in 2009 that saw Michelle win the Masters Women's Canadian National Road Racing Championship, Michelle has made a strong transition to elite racing and continues to excel on the road and counts winning the GC for the Charlevoix Stage Race in 2011 as a highlight. This is Michelle's third season with the team.
• Sara Byers: with a wide range of experience including winning the Elite Ontario Cup Road Series in 2011, Sara brings a real passion for the bike to the team.
• Julie Lafreniere: returning to the team for her second season, Julie is another all-round rider who has shown her strength in road racing and on the cyclocross bike.
• Evelyne Gagnon: Evelyne is new to the team for 2012 and is looking to learn from the experience of her team mates and race as much as she can.
It should be noted that these women are balancing their passion for bike racing with the demands of careers, school studies and family commitments. The team is very pleased to be supported by: Stevens Bikes, The Cyclery, Rudy Project, Giro, and Continental.
Look for the team to be out on their new 2012 Stevens Bikes in in races throughout Ontario, Quebec and the Northern United States.