April 3/00 11:41 am - Letter from Italy, Help Wanted, Paris-Ancaster, Ontario Results
Posted by Editor on 04/3/00
Letter From Italy
Canadian road racer Paul Kelly, who is racing in Italy, sends us regular reports about his experiences in the Italian racing scene. Here is his first one for the 2000 season.
It's been a slow beginning to the Italian season, after a good early start with the national team at the Tour of Malaysia. I'm back in Italy, racing for SC Reda-Baggioni once again, after autumn rumors of a contract with Cantina Tollo fell through (it seems that only riders with family in the right loops, or money, turn pro here). Now at least, there's something to write home about:
Eliseo Dal Re, my SC Reda-Baggioni teammate, won the XXV Coppa Caduti di Reda on Sunday. The challenging course covered 150 km in 3 hours and 44 minutes (avg. Speed 40km/h). Eliseo and Mirko Biondi - also from SC Reda-Baggioni - finished 23 seconds ahead of a 4 man chase group. Patrik Montanari (GS Parmense) won the sprint for third. I finished 19th, coming about 2 minutes down on the leaders, in what remained of the 160 rider field (still not bad for a Canadian kid racing clean, eh?). Great teamwork during the entire stage allowed us to keep our fittest riders, Dal Re and Biondi, fresh for their final attack on a short 20% grade at 10km from the finish. Their top placings gave our team some points towards qualification for the Giro D'Italia Dilletanti...which we desperately needed after much misfortune, and plain lack of speed in the early season. We also confirmed our participation in the Giro delle Marche, a 4 day stage race over the Easter weekend.
Trilife needs one more Mountain Bike Event Trail Staff Person!
Mountain Bike Trail Assistant
- People describe you as having the following qualities; Mountain Bike Event savvy, Great communication skills, attention to detail, quick learner, ability to follow instruction, display an intense willingness to get the job done, whatever it takes.
- The Trail Assistant will be responsible for setting up and taking down all aspects of the race course at each event. This includes banners, tape, signage, aid stations etc.
- The Trail Assistant will help in the execution of the event which includes coordinating volunteers, maintaining the course, and doing whatever it takes to ensure a successful event.
- You will report to the Road Crew Manager.
- Consulting with local mountain biking contacts, it will be up to you to make recommendations and suggestions as to the race course routes.
- You will help out, as required, in other aspects of set up and take down of the event staging area.
- Contract will run from approximately May until October.
- Extensive travel is required! - California, BC, Colorado, Georgia, Alberta, New Jersey, and more! (Trilife pays for all travelling expenses)
- Remuneration commensurate with experience. (Salary plus bonus incentives)
Please forward your resume to the attention of Steve Merker: Director of Events, Trilife Sports International:
7321 Victoria Park Avenue, Unit # 8
You have a little over 2 days left to register for the Paris-Ancaster Enduro. Online registration closes April 5th at 8:00 pm EDT, and the event takes place next Sunday, April 9th. To register, click on the Paris-Ancaster logo in the upper right corner of your screen.
For entrants who wish to pick up their event kits prior to the day of the ride, the organizer will be offering rider package pick up the evening before. Saturday, April 8th, between 6 and 8 pm, riders will be able to pick up packages at Adventures on the Grand (the starting point). Note: this is pre-registered rider pick ups, NOT late registration. See the map on the P-A web page for directions.
Hilton Falls Time Trial, Ontario
(courtesy Al Hawley)
|XU17S Cadet (15-16) Men|
|Beginner (17-29) Men|
|XMB Master (30+) Beginner Men|
|XMW Grand Master (50+) Women|
|Junior (17-18) Sport Men|
|Junior (17-18) Women|
|Senior (19-29) Sport Women|
|XMS Master (30-39) Sport Men|
|XMS Master (30+) Sport Women|
|XMS Master (40-49) Sport Men|
|XMS Grand Master (50+) Men|
|2||Robert C, Galbraith||0:40:15.755|
|7||Rolf G., Gube||0:45:47.418|
|Cadet (15-16) Expert Men|
|Junior (17-18) Expert Men|
|Senior (19-29) Expert Men|
|XMX Master (30-39) Expert Men|
|5||Nigel, Moo Choy||0:38:54.404|
|XMX Master (30+) Expert Women|
|XMX Master (40+) Expert Men|
|XSE Senior-Elite Men|
|XSE Senior-Elite Women|