Posted by Editor on 04/13/00
Ottawa Bicycle Club Grand Prix
(courtesy Bob Hicks)
The 3rd annual OBC Grand Prix in the Gatineau Park is scheduled for Saturday, July 29th. The 21km Parkway loop is closed to motor traffic from 8am - 1pm. This is a spectacular circuit in a beautiful national park with an excellent road surface.
The race is a long-term project for the OBC which we intend to build into a major national event which will be around for a long time. Think Rideau Lakes Tour which will soon be 30 yrs old and going strong.
Last year, participation increased from 120 to 230 and included a post-race banquet at Camp Fortune ski area. Rider feedback was overwhelmingly positive but we are still working to make improvements. All the categories we offer are important to us, including the novice. We had almost 20 novice women last year and about 70 novice men.
One big change this year is the increase in prize money for Senior Men and Women - larger purse and more riders receiving money.
There are races for the following categories:
Sr Men - 105km ($2,400 to top 15)
Sr Women - 84km ($900 to top 10)
Jr Women - 63km ($100 to top 3)
Jr Men - 84km ($300 to top 5)
Vet 30+ - 105km ($100 to top 3)
Vet 40+ - 84km ($100 to top 3)
Vet 50+ - 63km ($60 to top 3)
Vet 60+ - 42km ($60 to top 3)
Vet Women - 42km ($60 to top 3)
Novice Men - 42km ($60 to top 3)
Novice Women - 21km ($60 to top 3)
In-line skate - 21km (prize money equals one half of entry fees received)
Our web-site is not updated yet for this year but will be soon. The address is www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/
More info as it becomes available
Toronto Weekly Time Trials
The D'Ornellas Thursday Time Trials, run with the help of Geoff Gadd, will begin on May 4 and go each week for the 2000 season. Start time is 6:45 (as the days grow longer this may be pushed back). Entry will be $2, and there will be draw prizes each week. Results will be posted on the D'Ornellas club website. The TT's are open to all but participants must have proof of OCA insurance be it through a club membership, OCA membership or race licence.
Location is the Elgin Mills and Warden area. We have two loops side-by-side (15km and 12.6km) and will alternate each week for the first month. Then we'll let the riders decide which to settle on. The first week will feature the 12.6km loop starting on Elgin Mills east of Warden.
Questions to email@example.com
Happy Birthday To...
Pro mountain biker Geoff Kabush, tomorrow.
Vuelta a Aragon, Spain
Stage 2 - Fraga to Cerler 170 km
1. Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Banesto 4:12:15
2. Aitor Garmendia (Esp) Banesto at 0:11
3. Joseba Beloki (Esp) Euskaltel 0:20
4. Bingen Fernandez (Esp) Euskaltel s.t.
5. Igor Gonzalez Galdeano (Esp) Vitalicio 0:27
6. Jose Luis Rubiera (Esp) Kelme s.t.
7. Gabriele Colombo (Ita) Cantina Tollo 0:42
8. Haimar Zubeldia (Esp) Euskaltel 0:48
9. Inigo Cuesta (Esp) ONCE 0:49
10. Roberto Sgambelluri (Ita) Cantina Tollo 0:59
44. Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal 3:07
1. Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Banesto 8:11:54
2. Aitor Garmendia (Esp) Banesto at 0:15
3. Bingen Fernandez (Esp) Euskaltel 0:30
4. Jose Luis Rubiera (Esp) Kelme 0:33
5. Igor Gonzalez Galdeano (Esp) Vitalicio 0:36
6. Gabriele Colombo (Ita) Cantina Tollo 0:52
7. Haimar Zubeldia (Esp) Euskaltel 0:56
8. Joseba Beloki (Esp) Euskaltel 1:00
9. Felix Cardenas (Col) Kelme 1:15
10. Angel Vicioso (Esp) Kelme 1:24
40. Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal 3:17
Settimana Lombarda, Italy
Stage 2 - Boario to Zogno 182 km
1. Serguei Gontchar (Ukr) Liquigas-Pata 4:42:48
2. Didier Rous (Fra) Bonjour
3. Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Lampre
4. Volodymir Gustov (Ukr)
5. Nicola Miceli (Ita) all s.t.
6. Simone Bertoletti (Ita) at 0:03
7. Romans Vainsteins (Lat) 0:10
8. Ruslan Ivanov (Mol)
9. Oscar Pozzi (Ita)
10. Enrico Zaina (Ita)
1. Serguei Gontchar (Ukr) Liquigas-Pata 8:37:47
2. Didier Rous (Fra) Bonjour at 0:04
3. Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Lampre 0:06
4. Nicola Miceli (Ita) 0:10
5. Volodymir Gustov (Ukr) s.t.
6. Simone Bertoletti (Ita) 0:13
7. Romans Vainsteins (Lat) 0:20
8. Enrico Zaina (Ita) 0:26
9. Ruslan Ivanov (Mol)
10. Oscar Pozzi (Ita) both s.t.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|