November 8/13 12:25 pm - BC Provincial Cyclo-cross Championships Preview
Posted by Editoress on 11/8/13
The 2013 Provincial Cyclo-cross Championships are set for this Sunday, October 10th, at Bowen Park in Nanaimo.
Nanaimo hosted the first ever official Cyclo-cross race on Vancouver Island in 2004 and started the BC Cup for Cyclo-cross in 2005. In 2006 the National Championships were held at Beban Park. The Cross on the Rock series also started in 2006 and has grown to be the biggest Cyclo-cross series in Canada. This will be the first time the Provincial Championships have been held on Vancouver Island.
The Bowen Park course used for the Kona Kup has been a regular stop each year on the Island's Cross on the Rock circuit since 2009 and is one of the toughest courses out there ranking third highest DNFs in 2010 and ninth highest in 2011. It is a fair test of any cross rider's skill and endurance. Each lap is marked with 500 metres of rolling pavement. A sharp uphill. Speeding downhills. More than 50 turns. 50 stairs. And a HUGE sand pit....each lap. In 2011 the Experts did 10 laps = 500 stairs.
The registration deadline is Friday at 7:00pm
Some of the riders to watch:
• Wendy Simms, Nanaimo (KONA). Five time National Cyclo-cross Champion. Racing now takes a back seat to work and family but she is very skilled and talented even with little training.
• Catherine Pendrel. Kamloops (Luna). Former World MTB champion and former World Cup Champion. Fresh off a win at the Ice Man MTB race last weekend.
• Sandra Walter. Vancouver (Liv Giant Canada). Defending Provincial Champ
• Gillian Carlton. Victoria (Lululemon-Specialized). Fresh off a Silver Medal at a TRACK World Cup. Not a favorite to win on Sunday but this Olympic Medalist is always a crowd favorite.
• Aaron Schooler. Edmonton (H&R Block). Can not be crowned Provincial Champ but can still be a factor for the over all victory.
• Tyler Trace. Victoria. Tyler has not lost a Cross on the Rock race this year and has won before on this course.
• Andre Sutton. Edmonton. (Hardcore Cycling). The man they call Domino. Has perhaps the strangest diet of any of the racers, existing strictly on Pizza and Coke.
One of the most fierce races of the weekend will be the Masters Men 45-54 Category.
Men to watch in this race will be:
• Dylan Reeves. Victoria. Current Cross on the rock series leader.
• Peter Stevenson. Duncan. Past Canadian Champion.
• Bill Mc Millan. Nanaimo. One of the fastest starters on the Island.
• Steve Bachop. Victoria. Former Canadian Champ in XC running and winner of the last COTR race.
• Normon Thibault. Nanaimo. Series organizer and 4X Canadian Champion.
RACE DAY SCHEDULE
Course opens at 9:45 am for practice. Don't try to ride before that as we are going to be hammering to get everything set up and people riding around just makes it harder and slower. IF we get the course ready earlier we will make an announcement.
The course is NOT open or set up until race morning.
10:30 - Start 1: All comers. Anyone without a license that wants to race or someone with a license that does not want to race the champs. About 30 min race for 1st person.
11:15 - Start 2: JR women. U13 / U15 / U17 Men + Women. Combining categories as needed or required. Starting the fastest first. 1:00 between. 30 min race for 1st person.
12:00 - Start 3: U 19 Men, Masters 35-44 women. Masters 45+ Women, Masters 55 + Men. 40 minute race. Extra 15 minutes for warm up for afternoon races.
1:15 - Start 4: Masters 35-44 Men. Masters 45-54 Men. 45 - 50 minute race.
2:15 - Start 5: Elite Men and Elite Women. Elite women start 2:00 after Elite men. Elite women do 2 less laps than Elite Men.
Finish at 3:15-3:25
Awards at 3:30 in registration room up top if weather not good.
If you can help out with Set up on Sunday or Tear Down. Please fire Corey from OBB-Nanaimo an e-mail at email@example.com