Posted by Editor on 06/25/00
Mount Snow NORBA #2 - Men's Downhill
Rockwell Comes Through
"Lord knows I've had my share of bad luck, so I'll take whatever I can." Thus spoke the new downhill world champion, Myles Rockwell (Giant), moments after winning the Chevy Trucks Norba National Downhill in Mount Snow, Vermont.
Today's race was a replay of the world championships, with Rockwell against silver medallist Steve Peat (GT). The early leader was Eric Carter (GT), who started in the middle of the pack, a position he is not usually seen in. "I knew about the storms that are supposed to come through, and so I purposely took a low seeding. I was hoping that it might rain after me."
However, the rain held off, and Carter would see the final two riders both lower his mark of 4:20.67. First Peat would come through in 4:16.81, despite crashing and physically coming off his bike, and then Rockwell would take another 0.59 seconds off Peat's time, in spite of riding 80% of the course with no rear shock.
"My shock blew up 200 yards into the run, and I was just riding on the spring. I didn't know whether to pull over, slow down or keep going." Obviously, Rockwell chose valor over discretion. "It was so squirrely the whole way, I had to rely totally on strength to keep on the trail. The win is unbelievable, I am so stoked."
1. Myles Rockwell (USA) Giant 4:16.22
2. Steve Peat (GBR) Team GT 0:00.59
3. Eric Carter (USA) Team GT 0:04.45
4. Michael Ronning (Aus) Intense/Oakley 0:06.11
5. Jurgen Beneke (Ger) Giant 0:06.74
6. Cedric Garcia (Fra) Volvo/Cannondale 0:06.74
7. John Kirkcaldie (USA) Rocky Mountain s.t.
8. Rich Houseman (USA) Tomac 0:07.14
9. Mike King (USA) Haro/Lee Dungarees 0:09.32
10. Jason Sigfrid (USA) Yeti 0:12.20
11. John Tomac (USA) Tomac 0:13.18
12. Derin Stockton (USA) Maxxis 0:13.44
13. Claudio Caluori (Sui) Tomac 0:14.00
14. Scott Ybarra (USA) Troy Lee/Maxxis 0:14.30
15. Dave Watson (Can) GT Bikes/Sombro 0:14.78
16. Colin Bailey (USA) Intense/Troy Lee 0:14.87
17. Shaums March (USA) Chumb Wumba 0:14.91
18. John Waddell (Aus) Pro Jrx 0:15.10
19. Jared Rando (Aus) Pro Jrx 0:15.27
20. Todd Snider (USA) ODI-Southridge 0:16.30
23. Rob Hewitt (Can) Seven Springs 0:17.91
31. Olivier Markon (Can) Devinci/Rockshox 0:22.32
33. Chad Onyschuk (Can) Ford Devinci 0:23.73
42. Stephane Mailhot (Can) DM Cyclo Sport 0:33.65
43. Charles-Antoine Dube (Can) Fruite/Moulbec 0:34.25
45. Fred Poulin (Can) Balfa 0:36.09
50. J.J. Desormeaux (Can) Balfa 0:41.59
51. Ted Tempany (Can) Evolution 0:44.79
54. Domenic Scorda (Can) GT Canada 0:51.87
57. Andrew Shandro (Can) Ford Devinci
DNF Fred Belanger (Can) Intense Canada
DNF Brent Lowes (Can) Dukes/Intense
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|