Posted by Editoress on 12/10/14
New for 2015, the Ontario Road Youth Cup Series will be "rolling out" gear check at all Youth Cup events. It has been considered for the past few seasons however, for 2015 the Association has decided to implement the rule for the following reasons:
• To ensure a fair and equal competitive basis for all involved
• To limit the competitive advantage of athletes who mature early
• To increase the relative importance and thereby development of racing tactics
• To encourage development of technique and ability to produce power at high cadence
• To reduce the risk of overuse injuries
The OCA has put together a chart (see link below) which outlines which category is required to meet which rollout distance. To ensure that each participant in the series meets the rule, parents should get what is called a "Junior" cassette for their kids.
Click Here for a chart showing what combination of rear cog can be combined with the front ring depending on your age category.
For coaches, parents and athletes looking to calculate gearing for wheel sizes that are not 700c, feel free to utilize the website BikeCalc.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|