November 24/97 8:58 am - W.O.W., Awards, `Cross Update, Giro Route
Posted by Editor on 11/24/97
If you're not into the competitive stuff like the Cyclocross Nationals next weekend there is still something that you and your bike can do. On Sunday November 30th is the 6th Annual Winter W.O.W. MTB tour at the Mansfield Outdoor Centre (site of the '97 Ontario Prov. Championships). The ride is 3-4 hours long and is mostly singletrack. This is a fairly tough ride - definitely not for beginners. Cost is $25 up until Wednesday and $30 after that. This includes a cozy touque, pasta pigout and snacks on the trail. We only take 100 riders so please get your registration in soon. Reg forms are on the web at W.O.W. or call at 905-567-7593. Hope to see you there.
More OCA Awards
We left out an award that was presented at the OCA AGM in our posting yesterday - Jorn Hansen (elder statesman of the notorious - at least in our Forum - Hansen clan) was given the Sportsman of the Year Award.
Get those entries in! In order for any particular category to be deemed a National Championship (and for the winner to receive the title of National Champion), at least 3 separate regions of the country must be represented. So, if you are from outside Ontario, the organizer needs to hear confirmation that you will be coming. The long range forecast is 28 degrees C, sunny, etc....Just kidding, but it is looking to be in the 7 degree range at this point, and after all the work that has been done to put together a top-notch Nationals, it would be a shame if one category did not receive National status...The organizer is working to arrange billets for out-of-town riders who need them, and the early registration date has been pushed back to November 27th, if you register online at the Championship website
Pearl Izumi Sale
If you are coming to town for the Nationals, you might want to pick up some Pearl Izumi clothing cheap. Veltec is having its annual Peal Izumi sale Nov. 28 ( 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm) and Nov. 29 (9:00 am - 11:00am). Veltec is located at 75 Horner Ave., Toronto. Horner is 1 block east of Kipling along Evans. Running, Cycling, Skiing, and Tri stuff on sale.
1998 Giro Route Announced
Next year the Giro dâ€šItalia will start in Nice, France with a 6 km Prologue and end in Milan after covering 3,830 km in 22 stages. There will be no rest day.
Prologue. Saturday, May 16: Nice (France). Individual time trial 6 km.
1. Sunday, May 17: Nice to Cuneo (Italy) 158km
2. Monday, May 18: Alba to Imperia 162km
3. Tuesday, May 19: Rapallo to Forte dei Marmi 192km
4. Wednesday, May 20: Viareggio to Monte Argentario 229km
5. Thursday, May 21: Orbetello to Frascati 218km
6. Friday, May 22: Maddaloni to Lago Laceno 159km
7. Saturday, May 23: Lago Laceno to Matera 230km
8. Sunday, May 24: Matera to Lecce 189km
9. Monday, May 25: Foggia to Vasto 157km
10. Tuesday, May 26: Vasto to Macerata 210km
11. Wednesday, May 27: Macerata to San Marino 220km
12. Thursday, May 28: San Marino to Carpi 190km
13. Friday, May 29: Carpi to Schio 164km
14. Saturday, May 30: Schio to Piancavallo 162km
15. Sunday, May 31: Trieste. Individual time trial 38km
16. Monday, June 1: Udine to Asiago 230km
17. Tuesday, June 2: Asiago to Selva Gardena 220km
18. Wednesday, June 3: Selva Gardena to Alpe Pampeago 115km
19. Thursday, June 4: Cavalese to Plan Montecampione 239km
20. Friday, June 5: Boario Terme to Mendrisio 140km
21. Saturday, June 6: Mendrisio to Lugano. Individual time trial 34 km
22. Sunday, June 7: Lugano to Milan 168km