November 12/00 6:39 am - Ontario 'Cross Provincials, Superprestige 'Cross, Longo
Posted by Editor on 11/12/00
Ontario 'Cross Provincials
(courtesy Rob Naish)
Duggan Wins Heartbreaker
Josh Hall looked to be on his way to victory at today's Ontario Cyclocross Championships but it was all lost in a heartbeat. With just over two laps to go Hall's drive train jammed and with over 500 meters to run to the pit Ray Duggan was able to close the seemingly insurmountable gap.
With a fresh bike and the crowd behind him Hall quickly started to make up ground on Duggan but the long run had taken it's toll on Hall and the gap opened up again on the last lap. In the end Duggan reluctantly crossed the line to win the championships looking as upset as Hall at the way things had turned out.
In the women's race Chrissy Redden's lead was never threatened on her way to winning. Kim Davidge came second while Leslie Greene was third.
Superprestige 'Cross #2
1. Peter Van Santvliet (Bel) Spaar Select
2. Richard Groenendaal (Ned) Rabobank
3. Erwin Vervecken (Bel) RVS-Liege
4. Mario de Clercq (Bel) Palmans-Ideal
5. Tom Vannoppen (Bel) Vlaanderen 2002
6. Jiri Pospisil (Cze) Morati
7. Arne Daelmans (Bel) GB-Den Tip Vorselaar
8. Kipcho Volckaerts (Bel) Jonge Renners
9. Daniel Pontoni (Ita)
10. Sven Nijs (Bel) Rabobank
Standings after 2 events
1. Richard Groenendaal (Ned) Rabobank 55 points
2. Peter Van Santvliet (Bel) Spaar Select 42
3. Tom Vannoppen (Bel) Vlaanderen 2002 32
4. Daniel Pontoni (Ita) 30
5. Kipcho Volckaerts (Bel) Jonge Renners 27
Longo Stops Record Attempt
Jeannie Longo tried to better her own hour record (set one week ago). Longo's current record is 44.767 kilometres, set in Mexico City on November 5th. She gace up today's attempt after two aborted starts, the second only twelve and a half minutes in length. Longo says that she will try again early next year.