Posted by Editoress on 01/20/20
Juventus Cycling Club (JCC) is seeking a head coach to deliver road, track, XC MTB, and cyclo-cross programming to our Junior Program. The right individual must have a passion for coaching U17 and U19 youth in all cycling disciplines, along with the ability to lead a first-rate youth cycling program.
Position: Juventus Cycling Club Junior Head Coach
Location: Edmonton, AB
Type: Part-Time Salary: $13000 - $18000/a
Start Date: Review of applications will begin March 1, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
The JCC is a provincially registered cycling club in Alberta that engages in a full range of disciplines including road, track, XC MTB, and cyclo-cross. We are committed to developing the sport of cycling within both our club and the wider community, and to supporting our athletes to the best of our ability.
• We are a team - we work together and take responsibility.
• We are flexible and creative - with our time, our solutions and our approach.
• Our success is all about how we do things - how we think, solve problems, deliver, and communicate.
The Junior Head Coach (JHC) is responsible for creating a safe and engaging learning environment and shall effectively deliver all development and performance components of the JCC Junior Program. Each year, the JHC will prepare individual athlete yearly training plans, and lead skill development camps (2-3), team training camps (1-2), and core race projects (6-8). The JHC will lead weekly coached sessions (1-2). The JHC will collaborate with the Juventus Junior Program Director to plan projects and provide post-project evaluation.
The Junior Head Coach will develop, plan and implement an annual development program which utilizes Juventus' administrative and material support and has the following characteristics:
• Race and Training Camp travel corresponding to program goals and coordinated with the Coaching Coordinator and the Program Director.
• Discipline-specific skills camp opportunities
• Twice weekly group sessions or racing, outdoor and/or indoor according to season and discipline.
• Regular testing and assessment of athletes to determine training effect.
• A weekly training schedule coordinating assistant coaches as necessary.
• Biannually scheduled coach-athlete-parent conferences for each athlete.
The JHC will develop and monitor a Yearly Training Plan (YTP) for each athlete using parameters appropriate to the level of athlete. (e.g. Learn to Train, Train to Race, etc.)
Sponsor and Club Relations
The Juventus Junior Head Coach role is a public role within JCC and in the wider cycling community. The role requires the organization of volunteers and sponsor resources. In addition to general expectations of professional communication with club members, the JHC is responsible for providing regular updates (post-event and monthly) to sponsors and club members re Juventus Junior Program activities and opportunities. Updates will be appropriately communicated, dependent on circumstance, through social media, our community platform Slack, or more formally by email.
The coach reports to and collaborates with the Juventus Coaching Coordinator and/or Program Director to ensure the program and its implementation are meeting the needs of our athletes.
• High School diploma with a post-secondary certificate or degree in a related field, or a combination of education and work experience.
• NCCP Competition Development Certified (NCCP Level 2 and/or experience coaching and developing youth in competitive cycling with ongoing current NCCP training will be considered)
• Understanding and familiarity with Cycling Canada's LTAD
• Current Standard First Aid - CPR C & AED
• Demonstrated history of supporting Junior cycling development program athletes equitably, across both broad and focused cycling disciplines
• Demonstrated history of ethical practices in coaching and support of CCES values.
• Experience coaching in 2 or more disciplines among road, track, XC mountain bike, cyclo-cross and a strategy for coaching less experienced disciplines
• Experience using a computer-based training program that monitors and incorporates athlete's power, cadence, heart rate (e.g. Training Peaks, Today's Plan)
• Experience performing, monitoring and evaluating athlete testing (UCI power profile test)
• Experience using word-processing and spreadsheet programs (e.g. MS Word, Google docs, Excel)
• Comfortable communicating with athletes and parents in person, by email, phone, as well as through community platforms such as Slack.
• Current Alberta Class 5 Driver's License (Class 4 an asset)
Special Skills and Abilities
• Proven ability to work collaboratively
• Proven ability to take initiative and work independently
• Proven ability to meet deadlines
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent organization, time-management, multi-tasking, attention to detail, and computer skills.
• An understanding of cycling activities and lifestyle
• Ability to coordinate constructively with other coaches/club personnel
• Ability to design training and race plans that target individual performance and tactical excellence while teaching teamwork and team tactics
• Commitment to integrity, confidentiality and impartiality
• Flexibility in work hours and ability to travel frequently
• Commitment to respect athletes, coaches, officials, and volunteers
• An ambassador for Juventus Cycling Club values
Conditions of Hire
• Criminal record check
• Vulnerable populations police check
• Verification of certifications
• Verification of references
Note: This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline of the position's duties and with consultation can be amended with the changing needs of the organization.
Employee Status: Contract, PT
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To apply, please send a cover letter and resumé, including 2 references, to:
Juventus Cycling Club
6850 88 Street
Or by email to email@example.com.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|