April 5/98 19:35 pm - Tour de Snowy Results, World Cup Standings
Posted by Editor on 04/5/98
Demet Wins Tour de Snowy
American Dede Demet (Saturn) has won the Tour de Snowy stage race in Australia. The information we have is sketchy, but here is what we have been able to piece together:
- Demet took the overall victory, 2:37 in front of Australian Anna Wilson and 12:23 in front of Jeanne Longo-Ciprelli of France.
- Clara Hughes was 7th in yesterdayâ€šs 4th (86 km) stage, putting her in 5th place on G.C. at that point. Clara was then second in this morningâ€šs 13 km individual time trial (5 seconds behind Wilson, and 7 seconds in front of Longo-Ciprelli). No word on whether this result moved Clara up to 4th.
- The final stage was a 30 km criterium that had appears to have had no effect on G.C. The crit was won by Karen Bliss-Livingston (Saturn), with Kendra Wenzel 2nd, and Petra Rossner 3rd.
At this point it appears that Clara Hughes has finished no lower than 5th, and possibly as high as 4th. We will let you know if we find out anything else about how other Canadians finished.
World Cup Rankings (after Tour of Flanders - event #2)
1. Emmanuel Magnien (France) Francaise des Jeux 110 points
2. Stefano Zanini (Italy) Mapei-Bricobi 110
3. Johan Museeuw (Belgium) Mapei-Bricobi 100
4. Erik Zabel (Germany) Telekom 100
5. Andrei Tchmil (Belgium) Lotto-Mobistar 86
6. Peter Van Petegem (Belgium) TVM 64
7. Michele Bartoli (Italy) Asics-CGA 56
8. Frederic Moncassin (France) GAN 50
9. Filippo Casagrande (Italy) Riso Scotti 32
10. Viatcheslav Ekimov (Russia) US Postal 32
Note: here is the finishing order again.
1. Johan Museeuw (Bel) Mapei-Bricobi 6:50:02
2. Stefano Zanini (Ita) Mapei-Brocobi at 0:43
3. Andrei Tchmil (Bel) Lotto Mobistar
4. Emmanuel Magnien (Fra) La Francaise des Jeux
5. Peter Van Petegem (Bel) TVM
6. Michele Bartoli (Ita) Asics-CGA
7. Vjatceslav Ekimov (Rus) US Postal Service
8. Franco Ballerini (Ita) Mapei-Bricobi all s.t.
9. Gianluca Bortolami (Ita) Festina Lotus 0:50
10. Wilfried Peeters (Bel) Mapei-Bricobi 0:58