Posted by Editor on 04/12/98
A masterful job by the Mapei team saw a 1-2-3 finish for the squad. Franco Ballerini made a strong move to jump across to the remainder of a breakaway group, just as they were about to get caught with about 55 kilometres to go. Ballerini had teammates Andrea Tafi and Wilfried Peeters in the group behind who covered any efforts to jump across, but Ballerini was so strong that he quickly pulled away, eventually winning by over 4 minutes. With 15 kilometres left, Tafi and Peeters attacked and got away from the chase group, and managed to hold them off to take second and third. With his victory, it appears that Ballerini will take over the World Cup lead as well. However, it wasnÃ¢â‚¬Å¡t all good news for Mapei - Tour of Flanders winner Johan Museeuw went down heavily, and has apparently injured his knee.
Paris-Roubaix (World Cup #3), 266.5 km
1. Franco Ballerini (Ita) Mapei-Bricobi 6:57:49
2. Andrea Tafi (Ita) Mapei-Bricobi at 4:16
3. Wilfried Peeters (Bel) Mapei-Bricobi s.t.
4. Leon Van Bon (Ned) Rabobank 4:49
5. Frederic Moncassin (Fra) GAN
6. Rolf Sorensen (Den) Rabobank both s.t.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|