May 6/98 17:21 pm - Romandy and Dunkerque Results, Hudsons Bay fine
Posted by Editor on 05/6/98
Four Days of Dunkerque, France
Stage 2 - Audruicq to Amiens, 187 km
1. Jan Svorada (Tch) Mapei-Bricobi 4:52:07
2. Arvis Piziks (Let) Team Home Jack and Jones
3. Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Casino
4. Aart Vierhouten (Ned) Rabobank
5. Arturas Kasputis (Lit) Casino all s.t.
1. Arvis Piziks (Let) Team Home Jack and Jones 9:06:49
2. Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Casino at 0:06
3. Aart Vierhouten (Ned) Rabobank 0:10
4. Arturas Kasputis (Lit) Casino
5. Evgueni Berzin (Rus) La Francaise des Jeux both s.t.
Tour of Romandy, Switzerland
Stage 1 - Rheinfelden to Saignelegier, 170 km
1. Laurent Dufaux (Sui) Festina 4:38:14
2. Marcus Zberg (Sui) Post Swiss Team 0:04
3. Michele Bartoli (Ita) Asics
4. Davide Rebellin (Ita) Polti
5. Francesco Casagrande (Ita) Cofidis all s.t.
1. Laurent Dufaux (Sui) Festina 4:43:48
2. Alex Zulle (Sui) Festina at 0:16
3. Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Saeco-Cannondale s.t.
4. Roland Meier (Sui) Cofidis 0:17
5. Michele Bartoli (Ita) Asics 0:18
Hudsons Bay Fined
This made our news because the retail giant was fined $600,000 over misleading advertising about...bikes! Yes, seems that they advertised a sale on bicycles , and stated that the sale was ending before it actually did. The Competitions Bureau said that this created a false impression of urgency among consumers - in other words, they rushed right down to buy their bike before the sale was over. Hudsons Bay has promised not to do it again.