February 2/03 1:33 am - PacificSport Training Camp, World Cyclocross Championships
Posted by Editoress on 02/2/03
Report from PacificSport Training Camp 2003 (Jan 29th to Feb 1)
Courtesy PacificSport National Cycling Centre
The PacificSport National Cycling Centre has just completed its first training camp of the year. The 4 day camp was based out of Victoria and ran from January 29th to February 1st. The camp was very well attended and drew out some of the Nation's most accomplished cyclists as well as some of it's best up and coming prospects. The camp was run by National Team coach Houshang Amiri.
The first two days of the camp required everyone not only to test their endurance but also their climbing legs. Day 1, was a 150 km day out along the west coast of Vancouver Island to Jordan River. The day consisted of several short climbs, some very hard tempo riding and some very cold rain. Day 2 was much of the same, as the route took the group from Victoria to the town of Duncan and back (approximately 170km). The ride included some fast pace line efforts throughout in addition to 2 big climbs up and over the Malahat (1000 ft). Days 3 and 4 were days for the flat landers as both rides followed a route from Victoria out and around the Saanich Peninsula. Both days included some tough hill repeats and some controlled pace line intervals. By the camps end the group had covered approximately 600km.
Houshang drove the centre's Subaru support vehicle for all 4 days, providing quick wheel changes (there were several punctures) and yummy granola bars for everyone on the verge of bonking. A special thanks to Houshang from all of the riders in attendance this week.
World Cyclocross Championships Monopoli, Italy
Shauna Gillies-Smith of Canada was 30th in the Women's race at 4:09 back.
1. Bart Wellens (Bel) 56:43
2. Mario De Clercq (Bel) at 0.38
3. Erwin Ververcken (Bel) 1:20
4. Ben Berden (Bel) 1:28
5. Sven Nijs (Bel) s.t.
6. Francis Mourey (Fra) 2:07
7. Daniele Pontoni (Ita) s.t.
8. Tom Van Noppen (Bel) 2:24
9. Jiri Pospisil (Cze) 2:26
10. Arnaud Labbe (Fra) s.t.
11. Dariusz Gil (Pol) 2:35
12. Petr Dlask (Cze) 2:39
13. David Seco Amundarain (Esp) 2:44
14. Gerben De Knegt (Ned) 2:49
15. Maarten Nijland (Ned) 2:56
16. Alessandro Fontana (Ita) 3:12
17. Richard Groenendaal (Ned) 3:14
18. Dominique Arnould (Fra) 3:19
19. Luca Bramati (Ita) 3:33
20. Christian Heule (Sui) 3:35
21. David Derepas (Fra) 3:36
22. Tadeusz Korzeniewski (Pol) 4:01
23. Roger Hammond (GBr) 4:13
24. Tomas Trunschka (Cze) 4:19
25. Marc Gullickson (USA) 4:34
26. Michael Baumgartner (Sui) 4:41
27. David Rusch (Sui) 4:41
28. Ales Mudroch (Cze) 4:54.
29. Radec Tichy (Cze) s.t
30. Stuart Wearmouth (GBr) 5:04
31. Vaclav Metlicka (Svk) 5:07
32. Jens Reuker (Ger) 5:15
33. Wim De Vos (Ned) 5:27
34. Matthew Ellis (GBr) 5:35
35. Robert Glajza (Slk) 5:41
36. Jan Ramsauer (Sui) 5:45
37. Jonathan Page (USA) 8:08
38. Gusty Bausch (Lux) 8:20
39. Marco Paludetti (Ita) 8:31
40. Isaac Suarez Fernandez (Esp) 9:25
52 Starters, 40 finishers