Posted by Editor on 06/25/98
Tour of Switzerland
Stage 9 - Berne, 193 km
1. Nicki Aebersold (Switzerland) Post Swiss 4:24:57
2. Vladimir Duma (Ukraine) Scrigno
3. Pascal Richard (Switzerland) Casino
4. Joerg Jaksche (Germany) Polti
5. Piotr Ugrumov (Lithuania) Ballan all s.t.
6. Beat Zberg (Switzerland) Radobank at 0:16
7. Laurent Jalabert (France) Once
8. Emmanuel Magnien (France) La Francaise De Jeux
9. Erik Zabel (Germany) Deutsche Telekom
10. Maurizio Fondriest (Italy) Cofidis all s.t.
1. Stefano Garzelli (Italy) Mercatone 37:06:26
2. Zberg at 0:53
3. Vladimir Belli (Italy) Festina 1:51
4. Leonardo Piepoli (Italy) Saeco 2:24
5. Francesco Casagrande (Italy) Cofidis 2:41
6. Roland Meier (Switzerland) Cofidis 3:25
7. Aleksandr Sheffr (Kazakhstan) Asics 3:35
8. Davide Rebellin (Italy) Polti 3:43
9. Peter Luttenberger (Austria) Radobank 4:04
10. Jan Ullrich (Germany) Deutsche Telekom 4:57
Tour of Catalonia, Spain
Stage 8 - Andorre la Vielle, 189.9 km
1. Fernando Escartin (Spa) Kelme 4:50:58
2. Jean-Cyril Robin (Fra)
3. Georg Totschnig (Aut)
4. Hernan Buenahora (Col) all s.t.
5. Alberto Elli (Ita) at 0:36
6. Roberto Laiseka (Spa)
7. Carlos Alberto Contreras (Col)
8. Massimo Podenzana (Ita) all s.t.
9. Jose Castelblanco (Col) 1:18
10. Abraham Olano (Spa) 1:42.
1. Hernan Buenahora (Col) Vitalicio Seguros 32:59:36
2. Georg Totschnig (Aut) at 0.8 seconds
3. Fernando Escartin (Spa) 0:16
4. Massimo Podenzana (Ita) 1:05
5. Alberto Elli (Ita) 1:37
6. Abraham Olano (Spa) 1:42
7. Jose Castelblanco (Col) 2:37
8. Angel Luis Casero (Spa) 2:47
9. Jean-Cyril Robin (Fra) 3:01
10. Victor Hugo Pena (Col) 3:15
B.C Time Trial Championships
(courtesy John Tolkamp)
Final preparations are in place for the BC TT Championships being held this Saturday, June 27th in Prince George. 1st Rider off at 1:00p.m. The race starts at Nukko Lake Elementary School - 30km North West of Prince George.
Saturday's Schedule is as follows:
10:00 a.m. - 11:30 Race day registration (at Nukko Lake Elementary)
12:00 noon Riders meeting and start order posted
1:00 p.m. 1st Rider off
This 40km out and back course features rolling hills. With the exception of 2km of seal coat near the turn around, road conditions are excellent. Weather predictions are promising: partly sunny skies and a high of 21C predicted, there is a chance of late afternoon showers.
For more information contact Olympia Cycle and Ski (250) 962-2075
Lethbridge Stage Race, Alberta - June 20/21
(courtesy Mike Haponiuk)
We have results for the race here. You can find the story on the race at the Edmonton Road & Track Club website (go to the Race Results section).
NEW LEADER IN MIDWEEK SERIES
(courtesy Peter McCaffery)
Greg Cavanagh, Woodstock C.C., tonight took over the overall points lead from Jet Fuel's Heath Cockburn in the Mississauga Midweek Criterium series. Greg took advantage of Heath's absence (due to a bug picked up in Beauce) and was part of a successful four man break that escaped the combined pack with ten laps to go and finished third, with only Dave Bogue, Independent and Mark Hibbert, Jet Fuel, ahead of him. Fourth in the fast-moving quartet was Daniel Maggiacomo, also of Jet Fuel.
In the early running, before the 1's and 2's caught the handicap group, Brian Taborek, Allsport, a national level triathlete, and Missisauga's Chris Paton were off the front for three laps but were eventually absorbed just as the 1-2 bunch caught the lead group. Soon afterwards, Mississauga,s Jeff Archbold was joined by Drew Carter, unattached, in another breakaway attempt but this came to naught and after a further couple of laps, they too were caught The combined peleton then stayed intact until the final, successful break formed.
Before the race, organizer, Peter McCaffery drew the riders' attention to the excellent caution signs donated by Norco and Re-My Sport. In addition to contributing towards the signs, Norco is putting on one of it's popular NORCO NIGHT in the next feww weeks. Watch for further information.
Thanks to Tina Mayberry for marshalling the potentially-dangerous Matheson corner and to Allsport for providing more product for prizes.
Please note: there will be no race next Wednesday, July 1st. as the CHIN Picnic event is being held at the CNE grounds. All riders except Cat. 1/2's and others who ride with the scratch group are most welcome at the Monday event at the same location.
WEATHER: Sunny periods, 15kph S to SW wind, 27C. Speed: 42.11 kph
|Mark Hibbert||Jet Fuel|
|Greg Cavanagh||Woodstock C.C.|
|Dan Maggiacomo||Jet Fuel|
|Gerard Yeates||GT Canada|
|Brent Arthurs||Woodbridge It.|
|Adrian Jackson (UK)||Coventry Eagle|
|Piers Davidge||Mississauga B.C.|
|Heath Cockburn||Jet Fuel||58|
|Brent Arthurs||Woodbridge Italia||41|
|Matt Hansen||Jet Fuel||32|
|Gerard Yeates||GT Canada||31|
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|