July 12/04 3:36 am - Olympic Selection Update, Riders Wanted, B.C. Tuesday Nighter Cancelled, Ontario Crit
Posted by Editor on 07/12/04
Olympic Selection Announcement Delayed
It appears that official announcement of the Canadian cycling team will not happen until next Monday now (July 19th), when the COC (Canadian Olympic Committee) presents the full Canadian Olympic squad. According to Canadian Cycling Association Acting Director-General Brett Stewart, the selection committee met (by conference call) on July 7th to finalize the team. They have contacted all the eligible athletes (who are under strict instructions not to discuss selections), and the nominations have been sent to the COC for final approval. The CCA must wait for final COC approval before announcing the squad. Stewart says that he expects that to happen July 19th. In an e-mail, Brett Stewart described the situation as follows:
The CCA cannot say anything about the selected riders until the green light is given by COC.
- The HPC (High Performance Committee) finalized the athlete selections for the Olympics on July 7th.
- All eligible riders were contacted by CCA staff and notified of their individual status. The riders are not to discuss this until the official announcement.
- All athlete selections must be submitted to COC by Monday July 12th.
- The COC reviews all selections and confirm that athlete selections are consistent with the approved criteria/process.
- The COC will ultimately release a list of all Olympic selected riders. Then individual sports may make independent releases.
- Individual athletes have the right to appeal their situation (non-selection).
- All appeals are to be channeled through the COC. COC will involve ADR in all cases. ADR will review the process of selection as it applies to the athlete. ADR will render a finding. (Any appeal will take a matter of days to resolve).
While the official announcement will not happen for a week, we have confirmed through various sources that our "unofficial" team selection is correct (see Daily News July 11/04 11:35 am EDT). We also note that numerous news outlets have been contacting us to try and get more information out of us...
Race in Brazil
We have two separate requests for riders interested in participating in a stage race in Brazil:
Riders are wanted to complete a team for a UCI 2.5 stage race in Brazil. The race is eleven stages and runs from August 28th until September 7th. The organizer will provide accomodations for five days before the race and one day after the race. During the race everything will be covered including food, transportation and accomodation. It is necessary to obtain a Brazil Visa from the Brazilian Consulate in Toronto - www.consbrastoronto.org/conseng.htm
If interested please e-mail Darren Vogler at email@example.com
I'm trying to put a team together for a UCI 2.5 stage race in Brazil called tour of Santa Caterina. The race takes place Aug. 28-Sept. 7, 2004. Everything is paid for from the 23 of August to September 7 and possibly a few days afterwards (accomodation, food and van with driver). Anybody interested please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send the race package with stages etc.
Cancelled Vancouver Tuesday Nighter Reminder
A reminder that the July 13th Tuesday Nighter has been cancelled due to a concert at Thunderbird Stadium. Races will resume next week, July 20th.
Peterborough Liftlock Criterium
The 1st Annual Peterborough Liftlock Criterium will be run on the same course as the 2000 National Crit Championship in East City Village on July 31st. The closed course consists of a 1.2 km circuit with 3 corners, a fast chicane and is flat, flat, flat. The Warkworth Challenge O-Cup #5 is the next day and at a reasonable start time. No need to wake up at 5am! Make a weekend out of it. The Prize list is at $3000 and growing with lots of primes! Don't forget the merchandise prizes.
To help promote cycling in Peterborough, the Peterborough Cycling Club is setting up a Pavilion to help generate more of a festival-like atmosphere. The Pavilion will contain many local shops and bike related manufacturers who will have product on display and will be open to spectators and participants.