Posted by Editor on 01/6/05
New Partner for London Velodrome
Courtesy Rob Good
It is with great pleasure the London Velodrome Association is able to announce that KHS Bicycles, Manufacturers of the KHS line of Track Bikes, has jumped on board to be a Sponsoring Partner, along with their Dealers in the London Area. KHS will support the Youth programs being developed at the Velodrome with rental fleet of track bikes. KHS understands that this is a great opportunity for new & experienced cyclists in the Southern Ontario.
Representatives from KHS & their local dealers will be on-hand Saturday afternoon to answer questions at the Fundraising Kickoff for the New Velodrome.
The Doors open at 2 pm with the meeting starting at 3 pm.
For more information contact
Team Squamish Formed
Cycling in Squamish has shifted into high gear with the recently announced creation of a new cycling organization. "Team Squamish" is a community-based racing club created to promote the sport of cycling through the development of a youth racing team in Squamish.
The club, which is affiliated with SORCA (Squamish Off-Road Cycling Association), is supported by both Corsa Cycles and Tantalus Bike Shop and has as its major sponsor Greg Gardner GM.
"This is an idea whose time has come," said Cliff Miller, SORCA president. "It will be a fantastic opportunity for kids to learn how to race and for Squamish to be represented on the podium."
The team numbers are limited, and entry on the team will be competitive. The team will be made up of both male and female riders in cross country, downhill, and road disciplines.
"We're looking for a high level of commitment to the sport and the team," said "Team Squamish" organizer Paul Kindree. "There is an amazing amount of talent in this town, and there's a desire in the cycling community to focus and develop it."
Kindree explained that the team will provide coaching and some funding at different levels. "Elite Team" members will be those racing in a category recognized with a national championship. "Development Team" members will be active in cycling and racing in the high school series, but are not yet racing at the national level.
There will also be club level membership available to anyone simply by being a SORCA member and purchasing a "Team Squamish" jersey.
"We want to see 100 of these jersey's at the start line of the Test of Metal and the Gearjammer," Miller said. "It's our hope that 'Team Squamish' is a presence at every race in the province this year."
Funding for the team will be raised through corporate and individual sponsorship.
"This kind of thing doesn't happen without financial support, but people are jumping on board. We began with a generous donation from the Test of Metal, and when I approached Greg Gardner with the concept, he immediately saw the possibilities," Kindree said.
Gardner, for his part, expressed his excitement for the team and cycling in the community, "There are so many positive spin-offs that occur with lifestyles within our community when sports such as cycling are championed and fostered," he said.
Other supporters are still needed to meet the funding requirements for the team, and a sponsorship drive is being organized for early in the new year.
Application for team memberships will soon be available at both bike shops and through the high school teams Kindree said.
For more information, please contact
OCA Job Opportunity
Position Type: Part Time (10-15 hours per week)
The Ontario Cycling Association (OCA) is the provincial sport organization governing the sport of Cycling. Members are competitive and recreational cyclists between the ages of 5 and 80.
The Ontario Cycling Association requires an enthusiastic, mature and hard-working person to co-ordinate office activities as well as provide support to the Executive Director, the membership, and the Board of Directors.
- Excellent communication & organizational skills;
- Proficient computer skills; strong knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Knowledge of office administration procedures;
- Basic accounting / banking knowledge is an asset;
- Familiarity with membership newsletters;
- Experience with Charity Bingo reporting;
- General Report writing;
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
This position offers excellent growth, development opportunities and flexible hours. Some weekend and evening work may be required.
* Contribute to all general OCA communication materials, including the newsletters, handbooks, the Annual General Meeting Report and the OCA's website.
* Charity Bingo Reporting
* Assist with planning special events and meetings
* Grant & letter writing
* Board Reports
* VISA / Bank deposits
* Other administrative tasks as required
* As a small association, we expect a team player who will help wherever necessary
Managing Personal Effectiveness
* Self-motivated and accountable for results through focused attention on achieving goals; takes action and ownership.
* Enjoys multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment with a proven ability to manage a broad workload.
* Superior organizational skills in planning and completing projects by agreed deadlines; high attention to detail and accuracy.
* Proven administration experience and skills. At least 3 years work experience, preferably in a not for profit or sports environment
Please submit your resume with salary expectations (email preferred - Word Format), by January 17th, 2005.
Ontario Cycling Association
1185 Eglinton Ave East, Suite 408
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|