February 28/05 5:33 am - BC Spring Series FIrst Event Has Record Turnout
Posted by Editoress on 02/28/05
Devo/Powerbar Spring Series Kicks off BC Season with Record Turnout
Courtesy Gordon Ross
Over 220 cyclists over 3 categories took advantage of sunshine, summer-like 19 C weather, and a pancake flat course in Fort Langley BC on Sunday as the BC road season kicked off. With a strong tailwind on the backstretch of the course, the races were fast in all categories.
The A Group race completed their 105km in 2hrs 30min, averaging over 43kmh. A 10 man breakaway stayed away for 13 laps, with 4 survivors being swallowed up with 2 laps to go. This set it up for a pack sprint finish, taken by Larry Zimich of Coastal.
1. Larry Zimich (Coastal
2. Scott Goguen (Symmetrics)
3. Carl Jacobson (Solo/Adobe)
4. Sean Brandonburg (Western Washington University)
5. Brett Boniface (Organic Athlete)
1. Tim Abercrombie (Escape Velocity)
2. Tim Sherstobitoff (Kelowna Cycle)
3. Mandy Poitras (Symmetrics)
4. Bryan Anderson (Sugoi/Giant)
5. David Frisch (Comox Valley Cycling Club)
1. Geoff Trip (Western Washington University)
2. Deema Annyuk (Coastal)
3. Mike Elliston
4. Nathan Wallace
5. Albert Nomura
The Spring Series returns next weekend with the Zero Ave road race, a flat circuit with some slight rolling hills, and the climber's favourite, the leg-breaking Armstrong road race.
More info on the Spring Series can be found at Escape Velocity's website: ww.escapevelocity.bc.ca