August 5/98 11:57 am - Tour of the Rockies, Canada Cup Standings
Posted by Editor on 08/5/98
Canadians On the Podium at Tour of the Rockies
We just received word from Hank Sydor at the Mercury Tour of the Rockies in Colorado. At the Prologue this evening (held on a BMX-type track in Steamboat Springs), Russians took first in both the menâ€šs and womenâ€šs races, but Canadians took second and third in both categories. Pavel Tcherkassov (DBR) was the menâ€šs winner, followed by Chris Sheppard (Catera/Pure Energy) and Andreas Hestler (Volvo-Cannondale). In the womenâ€šs race it was Alla Epifanova (Volvo-Cannondale), a mere 1/4 of a second in front of team mate Alison Sydor. Lesley Tomlinson (Polo Sport) was third. Tomorrow the riders faced a point-to-point race, starting at Rabbit Pass (nearly 3500 metres high). Hank reports that there is more downhill than uphill!
Howelson Hill Prologue
1. Pavel Tcherkassov (RUS) DBR 4:01
2. Chris Sheppard (CAN) Catera/Pure Energy at 0:05
3. Andreas Hestler (CAN) Volvo-Cannondale 0:07
4. Tinker Juarez (USA) Volvo-Cannondale
5. Jerome Chiotti (FRA) Team GT both s.t.
8. Roland Green (CAN) Mapei-Kona 0:09
14. Seamus McGrath (CAN) Haro 0:18
18. Peter Wedge (CAN) Mapei-Kona 0:21
23. Neil Grover (CAN) Canadian National 0:23
30. Mathieu Toulouse (CAN) Canadian National 0:27
39. Jason Crookham (CAN) Canadian National 0:31
1. Alla Epifanova (RUS) Volvo-Cannondale 4:52.5
2. Alison Sydor (CAN) Volvo-Cannondale at 0:00.2
3. Lesley Tomlinson (CAN) Polo Sport 0:05
4. Alison Dunlap (USA) Team GT 0:08
5. Jimena Florit-Juarez (USA) Headshok 0:10
6. Melanie Dorion (CAN) Canadian National 0:15
12. Chrissy Redden (CAN) Ritchey 0:24
21. Melanie McQuaid (CAN) Canadian National 0:31
Canada Cup Standings
Well, we have finally completed our database for the Canada Cup standings! We had to build one of our own, since the CCA declined to share theirâ€šs with us. You will notice some differences between ours and the CCA one. The main reason is that we found some duplication of names on the CCA list (eg, Vincent, Roy and Roy, Vincent). Keep in mind that only the top 25 riders in each event are eligible to have their results count in the Canada Cup standings. If you notice any problems with our standings, please contact us.
Here are the Cross-Country and Downhill standings after event #4 (Mont Ste Anne).