Posted by Editoress on 09/16/15
IMBA members and supporters around the world will celebrate the twelfth-annual Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day (TAKMBD) on Saturday, October 3, 2015.
Registration is open to feature your event on the IMBA Canada calendar and map, and receive a prize package with stickers, race plates and bike swag from IMBA Canada and MEC!
TAKMBD is an annual celebration held on the first Saturday of October. The event, developed and coordinated by IMBA, encourages communities around the world to join together and ride mountain bikes with kids. Last year, more than 12,000 participants joined events at hundreds of locations across the globe, including Canada, Australia, the USA, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico and South Africa. Informal or formal, with one child or one hundred, TAKMBD events celebrate the joy of riding in nature.
Join us! Host or participate! Events range in size and scope from community-wide events to neighbourhood outings hosted by a couple of families.
How to Organize a TAKMBD Event
It is really quite simple: Plan a mountain bike ride with some kids! While TKMBD events are often hosted by local IMBA clubs, partners and affiliates, anyone can register an event, at no cost. Here are some suggestions:
• Keep it simple! Gather some bikes, helmets and kids, then hit your local trails or bike park. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
• Is there a community bike shop in your town? Hang our press-ready "save the date" poster and put out a sign-up sheet, then introduce some youngsters to your local trails.
• Boy/Girl Scout Troop or youth organization? Grab the kids and explore a new park with mountain bike friendly trails.
• Live near a National Park? Parks Canada wants to partner with you to put on an event. Contact IMBA Canada if you need help connecting with your park.
• TAKMBD is a great opportunity for the older kids to mentor the younger; and can serve as a teachable moment that there are established rules of the trail, safety equipment and other essentials for a safe outing.
Regardless of your affiliation, the number of kids, or your destination, please Register your event with us in order to receive a TAKMBD care package and to add your participation numbers to the global total.
You'll find several pages of ideas and resources to help you plan an event in the Kids section of IMBACanada.com.
Not Looking to Organize Your Own Event?
No problem - find one near you on our interactive map (check back often as new events are added).
Not Enough Time?
EVERY DAY IS TAKMBD! If the October 3rd date does not work for you, not to worry! With MEC's help we are promoting a year-round program. Register your kids event with us at any time and we will promote it on our website.
Help us set a new record of Canadian kids on bikes! Register your event today!
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|