Posted by Editoress on 10/28/15
The opening round of the 2016 UCI Track Cycling World Cup is set to begin this weekend in Cali, Colombia. Throughout the season, Canada's track cycling team will be looking to qualify for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and the World Cup season will be critical in the qualification process
Calgary's Monique Sullivan and Kate O'Brien will both be looking for strong results in the Team Sprint and individual Sprint events. The duo had resounding success at the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, followed by the UCI Track Pan American Championships. Both will use the Track Cycling World Cup season to gain ground with the ultimate goal to qualify for the upcoming Olympics.
Canada's women's Team Pursuit squad, ranked third in the world, will be in Cali to solidify their international standing. Allison Beveridge, Kirsti Lay, Jasmin Glaesser, Laura Brown, and Stephanie Roorda will represent Canada in Cali.
In the men's Team Pursuit, Canada will be looking to improve its ranking. Without the presence of captain Remi Pelletier-Roy, who suffered from a broken clavicle this month, Ed Veal has stepped in to replace Pelletier-Roy until he can return to competition. Accompanying Veal will be Evan Burtnik, Sean MacKinnon, Aidan Caves and Adam Jamieson.
In the men's Sprint events, the men's Team Sprint will be represented by Joseph Veloce, Evan Carey, and Joel Archambault. Archambault flew to Colombia last night on very short notice after Hugo Barrette sustained injury after a crash while training for the World Cup. [See Hugo Barrette Out of World Cup After Crash]
Competition begins on Friday and will run through Sunday.
• Evan Burtnik (18, Edmonton, AB) Men's Team Pursuit
• Ed Veal (38, Queensville, ON) Men's Team Pursuit, Omnium
• Aidan Caves (20, Vancouver, BC) Men's Team Pursuit, Points Race
• Sean MacKinnon (20, Hamilton, ON) Men's Team Pursuit, Individual Pursuit
• Adam Jamieson (19, Barrie, ON) Men's Team Pursuit
• Joel Archambault (QC) Men's Team Sprint
• Joseph Veloce (26, Fonthill, ON) Men's Team Sprint, Sprint
• Evan Carey (21, Victoria, BC) Men's Team Sprint
• Monique Sullivan (26, Calgary, AB) Women's Team Sprint, Keirin, Sprint
• Kate O'Brien (27, Calgary, AB) Women's Team Sprint, Sprint
• Allison Beveridge (22, Calgary, AB) Women's Team Pursuit, Scratch Race
• Stephanie Roorda (29, Vancouver, BC) Women's Team Pursuit
• Kirsti Lay (27, Montreal, QC) Women's Team Pursuit
•Jasmin Glaesser (23, Coquitlam, BC) Women's Team Pursuit, Omnium
• Laura Brown (28, Vancouver, BC) Women's Team Pursuit
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|